drank French Vanilla Assam by 52teas

I was hoping this one would be in the box! I’ve been on a bit of a vanilla quest since I had that awesome vanilla Nilgiri from Chi of Tea, but I never tried this one before. First of all, it came out before my interest in something vanilla flavoured really took off. Second, I was a bit concerned about the Assam base. I’m rather ambivalent when it comes to Assam, you see. When done right they can be very pleasant, but when done wrong… It’s not a pretty picture.

More and more though, I became interested in trying this one after all, Assam base be damned, but of course by then it was much too late. So yeah, I was putting some hope into this Christmas box! I know Frank is reblending everything in the box for sale, but as I’m way ahead of you as I’m writing this and will be in England by the time the rest of you get to opening this one and it becomes available on the site… If I like this one, I’ll just have to cross my fingers and hope there’s still some available when we get home.

IF I enjoy it.

The aroma of the leaves were strongly vanilla-y and also very Assam-y. All malty and strong and stuff. It seemed an even mix of the two aromas. After steeping, it’s mostly vanilla, and it’s a creamy sort of caramel-y vanilla. It’s almost honeyed. I think it’s the sweet, malty note in Assam and the sweetness of the vanilla that are interacting to create this extremely candy-y note. The aroma is definitely a win. (Could it be…?)

In the flavour, I’m not getting an overwhelming vanilla note. At first it’s generally clean Assam, and then the vanilla comes swooping in on the aftertaste, practically filling my mouth with vanilla. Oh. Oh dear. I was afraid this would happen. I do so hope that when I get back from England there will still be some available of this. This is exactly what I want from a vanilla flavoured tea. It’s my perfect vanilla black, and it’s limited edition. How bloody typical!

Uniquity

I thought it might be your ideal vanilla black! You might even have preferred the original blend, as I found this one much more appealing than the first batch

Angrboda

I forgot to check the website for it before we went to England, so I’ve spent the last week with my fingers crossed that it wouldn’t have sold out. Since it didn’t, I’m so buying some!

kOmpir

When I drank my first vanilla black cuppa I was overwhelmed. I drank about 2 Oz of it in short time period and kinda got bored with it. After reading your note it made me think of those good sipping moments. I’m tempted to give it a spin again :)

LiberTEAS

This one is definitely my favorite of the box. The first batch was better than the second.

Angrboda

kOmpir, the first vanilla flavoured black I ever had was largely underwhelming, so I’m not sure what possessed me to ever try the second one. These days I find it’s a must-have flavour, so I keep trying almost anything that comes across. I think it was the popularity of the H&S Vanilla Comoro here on Steepster that kept me at it. Funnily enough, that one didn’t appeal to me as much as it did to most of the others.

LiberTeas, I’ve ordered two more pouches of it. :) Shame I couldn’t have tried the first round. That’s what I get out of being such a wuss about the base. :)

Comments

Uniquity

kOmpir