drank Raspberry Vanilla by Yumchaa

I’m having BRAVE TEA!!! courtesy of Cteresa who sent me an envelope of goodies. Well, actually it’s a rooibos rather than a tea-tea, and that’s why it’s brave. Me and rooibos, we have a troubled past, to be honest. On the other hand raspberry and vanilla? How can that not be lovely?

So, as this was the only sample in the envelope that had me a bit doubtful and as I was in an adventurous brave frame of mind, I decided to start with this one right off the bat, because otherwise the fear of rooibos would make me postpone it for ages and ages and ages. I must admit, I have been sent a few samples in my time that I’m still too afraid to try.

So we’re having this one now. The boyfriend was actually very excited that I was making a rooibos, as he really likes them. (And still rarely asks for one when I ask him about preference, for some reason. I think he deliberately goes for things that we can both have, and that’s not always the purpose of my question) Anyway, he was excited and wanted a cup too. Luckily for him, I had already decided that it would be a sharing one.

Now comes the challenge of keeping a neutral mind and not let my misgivings colour the experience too much.

The aroma is incredibly sweet and fruity and extremely raspberry-y! I’m surprised at how very fruity and juicy this actually smells. I’m not even getting a whole lot of rooibos-y aroma from it unless I put my nose so close to the surface that I’m dipping the tip in it. It’s just all raspberry and only just a hint of that rooibos-y woodenness that is the larger part of my rooibos problem. As for the vanilla, at first I thought I couldn’t find it, but the more I sniff at this, the more I realise that it is there, and it’s every bit as strong as the raspberry, but because the raspberry is a naturally sharper aroma, the vanilla ends up rather camuflaged. Once you know it’s there, there’s no trouble in picking it out.

This smells like a raspberry flavoured sweet. Or an ice cream, one of the more luxurious brands.

Gosh.

Oh my gosh.

Steepsterites, gosh!

Am I really drinking rooibos, or am I in fact biting a berry?

All this time, I’ve completely written off rooibos because I don’t like it plain, but now it turns out that flavoured it might be totally acceptable. Probably just has to be a fairly strong flavouring. Rooibos plain, I find I might as well be chewing a pencil dipped in hot water.

Anyway, yes, this is surprisingly good!

It’s very intensely flavoured and taking the first sip of this was one hundred percent raspberry. Not raspberry flavour, mind you. No, it was actually like eating a real raspberry! I can’t recall every having come across anything fruit flavoured, not just teas and the like, anything fruit flavoured and have it taste so unbelievably close to the real thing.

Again, I’m getting very little actual rooibos flavour here. There is a hint of something sort of wooden in the background, but it’s very faint and under control and therefore not unpleasant at all. I suspect it’s probably the vanilla aspect here that might be doing that. I don’t really get a lot of vanilla in the flavour, but I could definitely imagine a good thick vanilla flavour as being one that could counter the wooden flavour of plain rooibos.

Wow, this is amazing. I went into this one expecting it to be tolerable at best and probably somewhere in the range of the yellow face on the scale, and now look where we ended up instead! I suspect that Cteresa actually knows me better than I think she does. Perhaps even better than I know myself!

cteresa

LOL, loved reading your opinion and so glad you liked it – it was a recent discovery of mine, i think i went through almost all of Yumchaa´s blends before hitting this one and I just adore it.

Yumchaa is pretty great at rooibos blends.

And it is not raspberry flavor only, there are plenty of dried raspberries in there – though maybe the sample did not get any!

cteresa

and yeah, I think vanilla and rooibos goes along very very well, it´s a classic always. Though I also think good rooibos is much more pleasant than a lot of the well, budget rooibos used in a lot of mixes (sometimes not budget mixes).

Jessie

I’ve been thinking of placing a Yumchaa order for a couple I really enjoyed, and considered this one but am also scared of most rooibos blends at this point. Maybe I’ll have to give it a shot, because raspberry-vanilla sounds so lovely!

ssajami

…the redemption of the rooibos – happy to hear it :)
and i, rooibos-lover that i am, now have to seriously check out Yumchaa teas, because raspberry-vanilla really does sound lovely.

Comments

cteresa

Yumchaa is pretty great at rooibos blends.

Jessie

ssajami

…the redemption of the rooibos – happy to hear it :)

The Formalities