drank Monks Blend by Tropical Tea Company

I got this from Tropical Tea Company’s $1/oz sale. At that price, this is definitely worth a try.

Upon opening the pouch, the smell of the leaves reminded me strongly of cherry Coke. The aroma after brewing remained about the same. The tea itself is sort of sweet and creamy (that may have been the tiny bit of milk I added, though). I thought I could detect a hint of vanilla. The cherry aroma from the dry leaves and brewed tea doesn’t actually taste like cherry. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s still a fruity flavour.

I’ll be trying this out again and writing more notes on it. The majority of my tea logs from this week aren’t as detailed as I’d like for them to be, mostly because I’ve been drinking the teas while being absorbed in my textbooks.

Update: Have been occupied as of late with graduate program applications. I’ll still be on Steepster, but will mostly be in lurk-mode with the occasional review.

Brewing method is usually Western style for black teas (2-3 minutes at near-boiling), “grandpa style” for shu pu’ers and longjing, and gongfu (with a gaiwan) short steeps for sheng and the occasional shu pu’ers (two 5-second rinses, then 5, 10, 15-second steeps with a gradual increase in steep times to taste). The gaiwan is also used for oolongs though I sometimes use a brew basket if the gaiwan is occupied and I’m taking a break from pu’er.

I enjoy black teas, pu’er, and oolongs (leaning towards aged, cliff/Wuyi, or roasted/dark), depending on my mood. I don’t usually drink green tea but do enjoy a cup every so often.

My rating methods have changed over time and as a result, they’re very inconsistent. I plan to give my rating system an overhaul and will eventually get around to rescaling older ratings.

99 & 100: I will go to almost any lengths to keep this stocked in my cupboard.
90-98: I’m willing to or already do frequently repurchase this when my stock runs low.
80-89: I enjoy this tea, and I may be inclined to get more of it once I run out.
70-79: While this is a good tea, I don’t plan on having it in constant supply in my tea stash.
50-69: This might still be a good tea, but I wouldn’t get it myself.
40-49: Just tolerable enough for me to finish the cup, but I don’t think I’ll be trying it again any time soon.
Below 40: Noping the heck out of this cup/pot.