drank Malted ChocoMaté by 52teas

I drank this a few days ago but forgot to log it at the time. I was busy studying for a bio exam at the time and didn’t really pay much attention to the flavour as I normally would. The leaves smelled amazing, though— very chocolate-y. I could almost taste the chocolate malt milkshake in my mouth.

Anyway, I have no idea how to brew mate. I read somewhere about splashing it with cold water before putting in the hot water, to preserve the minerals, so I did just that, waited a few minutes, and then proceeded to add boiling water.

The aroma was still very, very nice, though I couldn’t pick up as much of the chocolate as I was expecting, after having smelled the dry leaves. Oh well. I took my first sip and could detect a hint of chocolate, along with something that I think is what mate tastes like. I don’t remember much else about this mate, since I was engrossed in my biology textbook for the remainder of the cup.

This tea was a bit of a letdown after the high expectations I had of it after smelling the dry leaves, but overall, I still enjoyed it. Also, it’s quite likely that I didn’t brew the mate properly/am not used to how flavoured mate tastes. In any case, I do plan on trying this again in the near future. Hopefully I’ll be able to pay more attention to the flavouring by then.

College student. Anthropology and evolutionary biology major with various interests ranging from theatre to medicine to programming.

I enjoy black teas, green teas, pu’er, and oolongs (uaually aged or roasted/dark), depending on my mood. I’ve had limited experiences with white, mate, honeybush, matcha, and rooibos teas/tisanes. I’m not much of a fan of jasmine teas.

I’m still trying to figure out a rating system to go along with my developing tea tasting skills, so pardon any inconsistencies in my numerical ratings. At the moment, my rating system is as follows:

96-100: This tea is a must-have (or at least, a must-try).
90-95: This tea is amazing. I love it!
80-89: I really like this tea, and I may be inclined to get more of it once I run out.
60-79: While I like this tea, I don’t plan on having it in constant supply in my tea stash.
50-59: I dislike this tea. It’s tolerable enough for me to finish the cup, but I don’t think I’ll be trying it again any time soon.
Below 50: I don’t like it at all. (Ranging from “I avoid it” to “You couldn’t get me to drink it if you paid me”)

Current favourites:
Irish Breakfast (Butiki, Adagio, or Golden Moon)
Grandpa’s Anytime Tea (Butiki)
Premium Taiwanese Assam (Butiki)
Special Dark (Mandala)
Xingyang 1998 Golden Leaf (Verdant)
Golden Fleece (Verdant)
Silver Buds Yabao (Verdant)
Milk Oolong (Mandala)
Hu-Kwa (Mark T. Wendell)
Paris (Harney & Sons)
Manistee Moonrise (Whispering Pines)
Coconut Pouchong/Oolong (Golden Moon or Zen Tea Life)

Ohio