drank Chocolate Orange by DAVIDsTEA

I feel like I’ve been in an endless reading/research/writing cycle over the past few weeks, and I was feeling something similar with my tea drinking (I’ve been avoiding making any new purchases until I clear out some of my stash). I remembered that I still had several samples Azzrian sent me, so I decided to break my usual tea cycle and try out a new flavour.

I’ve never had a flavoured pu-erh before, so I’m excited to try this.

The dry leaf smells quite citrusy, but I can’t really smell anything chocolatey. When steeped, the tea smells like an earthy citrus, with a hint of chocolate. It tastes like that, too. The pu-erh base isn’t very prominent, but it’s there to provide the earthy background, while the citrus flavour takes the spotlight and the chocolate comes out in the aftertaste. I’m not a huge fan of chocolate orange flavoured things, but this was surprisingly pleasant to drink.

All in all, an interesting and refreshing tea. Thanks for the sample, Azzrian!

Update: Have been occupied as of late with graduate program applications. I’ll still be on Steepster, but will mostly be in lurk-mode with the occasional review.

Brewing method is usually Western style for black teas (2-3 minutes at near-boiling), “grandpa style” for shu pu’ers and longjing, and pseudo-gongfu (no yixing) short steeps for sheng pu’ers (two 5-second rinses, then 5, 10, 15-second steeps with a gradual increase in steep times to taste).

I enjoy black teas, pu’er, and oolongs (leaning towards aged, cliff/Wuyi, or roasted/dark), depending on my mood. I don’t usually drink green tea but do enjoy a cup every so often.

My rating methods have changed over time and as a result, they’re very inconsistent. I plan to give my rating system an overhaul and will eventually get around to rescaling older ratings.

99 & 100: I will go to almost any lengths to keep this stocked in my cupboard.
90-98: I’m willing to or already do frequently repurchase this when my stock runs low.
80-89: I enjoy this tea, and I may be inclined to get more of it once I run out.
70-79: While this is a good tea, I don’t plan on having it in constant supply in my tea stash.
50-69: This might still be a good tea, but I wouldn’t get it myself.
40-49: Just tolerable enough for me to finish the cup, but I don’t think I’ll be trying it again any time soon.
Below 40: Noping the heck out of this cup/pot.