reviewed Smart Soak by Mandala Tea

This stuff is unbelievable. I got a sample of it from a Mandala order I placed a while back. Finally thought I’d try it out yesterday evening.

I have one fine mesh tea strainer that I’ve been using on an almost daily basis for the past three or four years. While I wash it regularly, over time it still accumulated a brownish tea-stain patina and while baking powder soaks helped get rid of some of it, it never completely went away.

Then I stuck the strainer in the Smart Soak for about thirty minutes.

The strainer looks brand-new. All those years of tea stains, gone. I’d forgotten how silvery the strainer looked originally.

I’m floored by how effective this stuff is.

Anna

Awesomeness! I don’t have a dishwasher here (that usually solves the problem for me) and I miss my shiny strainers.

i love this stuff!

Comments

Anna

i love this stuff!

Update

Have been occupied as of late with grad school. I’ll still be on Steepster, but will mostly be in lurk-mode with the occasional review.

About Me
Student with far too many interests, ranging from medical anthropology to evolutionary biology to bioethics to medicine to computer science to theatre, and lots more.

Brewing
Brewing method is usually Western style for black teas (2-3 minutes at near-boiling), “grandpa style” for shu pu’ers and longjing, and gongfu (with a gaiwan) short steeps for sheng and shu pu’ers (two 5-second rinses, then 5, 10, 15-second steeps with a gradual increase in steep times to taste). The gaiwan is also used for oolongs though I sometimes use a brew basket if the gaiwan is occupied and I’m taking a break from pu’er.

Preferences
I enjoy black teas, pu’er, and oolongs (leaning towards aged, cliff/Wuyi, or roasted/dark), depending on my mood. I don’t usually drink green tea but do enjoy a cup every so often.

Ratings
My rating methods have changed over time and as a result, they’re very inconsistent. For the most part, as of 11 November 2014, unless a tea is exceptional in some way (either good or bad), I will refrain from leaving a numerical rating.

I plan to give my rating system an overhaul and will eventually get around to rescaling older ratings.

99 & 100: I will go to almost any lengths to keep this stocked in my cupboard.
90-98: I’m willing to or already do frequently repurchase this when my stock runs low.
80-89: I enjoy this tea, and I may be inclined to get more of it once I run out.
70-79: While this is a good tea, I don’t plan on having it in constant supply in my tea stash.
50-69: This might still be a good tea, but I wouldn’t get it myself.
40-49: Just tolerable enough for me to finish the cup, but I don’t think I’ll be trying it again any time soon.
Below 40: Noping the heck out of this cup/pot.