drank Black Dragon Pearl by Teavana

Asked for tea for Christmas; my mother and her posse happened to walk into a Teavana store in Chicago (Lady’s “Lets Go Shopping” roadtrip). After a hour’s guided tour through the intracies of tea (which mom reports was a pleasure), their guide picked out three “must try” teas, this was one of them; Thanks Mom! (and Teavana guy).
I used too much in my first cup….I have a 16 oz mug and used 3 pearls, 2 would have been fine. Water was off the boil for 5 minutes or so. I brewed this loose, directly in my mug for about 4 minutes, but it took a minute before the pearls actually started to unravel and steep. From there it steeped fast! I decanted it into another cup, ditched the leaves and returned the brew to the warm mug.
It has a strong, bold flavor with no astringency. Slightly woody and an edge of “burnt” in the flavor…perhaps from oversteeping. Still, very tasty and I look forward to another cup, and another shot at getting the steep correct.

burnt tea…? ?? Ewww

Cofftea

ok that wasn’t supposed to be a link lol.

Atacdad

you know how some people complain that Starbucks coffee tastes “burnt”? Same sort of thing…over-roasted or something. I’m pretty sure it was over-steeped…but it was still tasty.

Micah

That sounds really interesting. I’ll have to try some Black Dragon Pearls some time. Maybe the ones from Adagio the next time I order from them…

Cofftea

@Micah, Adagio’s are the only ones I’ve tried. They’re pretty amazing.

Comments

Cofftea

burnt tea…? ?? Ewww

Cofftea

ok that wasn’t supposed to be a link lol.

Atacdad

Micah

Cofftea

@Micah, Adagio’s are the only ones I’ve tried. They’re pretty amazing.

I remember when I discovered that there was more to tea than hot or iced. I was given a loose tea sampler (M.T.W.) and a stainless steel tea ball as a Christmas gift many years ago, by whom I cannot remember. That was the start of what will be a life-long love of fine tea. I discovered Steepster from a blog entry on the Mark. T. Wendell website…and have, from Steepster, discovered even more fine teas and vendors. Bravo!

Austin, Texas