My first Gong Fu tasting with all the pieces together. My husband graced me by joining and providing some interesting points. The tea has a nice matted hair appearance with leaves sticking out as if to escape the pod and a dry leaf aroma of prune. Used 7g in 240 yixing.

1st steep – wet leaf aroma of some sweet flower couldn’t tell which one. Flavors of a perfume and a slight aftertaste of slate. I guess this is the rock I see in other tastings.

2nd steep – added 5 sec. Leaf aroma is now definitely gardenia. The taste of the flower is also now present in the soup with the rock holding steady but the flavor is of wet rock not dry.

3rd steep – added 5 sec. Leaf aroma is now a bouquet of gardenia. What an impressive scent. It couldn’t come from an atomizer any stronger. The rock appears again after the florals have dissipated. I might mention that the floral notes do not stick around as long as I would like they are so intoxicating. The best steep.

4th-6th steep and the wet leaf aromas start to fade but gradually, but the florals in the soup drop off rather quickly. There also is now a sweetness in the aftertaste I wished was there in the 3rd steep. Rock flavor has softened too. A heavier mouth feel compared to earlier steeps is noted.

A nice tea. I can say that I enjoyed the aromas better than the tea itself, but this is my first time brewing this tea and I’ve read that it is difficult to get straight the first time. I think I should either brew in a smaller gaiwan or use more leaf 10g but that is a lot of tea for two. A lower temp, say 180F/82C, I think would be gentler to the leaf. One question in regard to Gong Fu preparation. When you are pouring into the yixing does it matter if its clockwise or counter clockwise. Tradition is everything when brewing these fantastic teas for me.