This is my first ever white tea. I’ve always been drawn to the descriptors used to talk about it – delicate, flowery, sweet (to be honest, I feel the same way about Pinot Grigio and yet I haven’t found one I’ve liked). So when I found that Yezi Tea was offering three free samples of my choice, I knew that this would be one of them.

The first thing I noticed about this tea is how large and lightweight the leaves are – I got about three times as much tea by volume for the same weight as my other two teas (an oolong and jasmine pearls). The small sample packet did not include brewing instructions, so I poked around on various tea sellers’ sites and found a good brewing recommendation.

When I first tasted the brew, I knew I liked it but was unsure how to go about describing the taste. There was a touch of floral and a subtle sweetness (which I accented by adding the teensiest amount of sugar), but the main flavor eluded me. I decided to poke around and see what other Steepsters had to say about Bai Mu Dan in general, and then I found exactly the descriptor I was looking for: hay. The smells and tastes chiefly of fresh hay (not the nasty rotting-in-a-pile-in-the-corner kind!). This is not necessarily a flavor profile I have encountered before, and I find it very warming and comforting, which surprises me considering this is such a light tea.

Overall, I don’t feel qualified to give this tea a numerical rating, considering I have nothing to compare it to, but I do enjoy it immensely and I can’t wait to try other varieties and sellers to see the difference. And now I REALLY can’t wait to try that Butiki Cantaloupe & Cream blend that I’ve been eyeing!

Flavors: Floral, Hay, Sweet

Welcome to Steepster!
I almost never give any tea a rating. No matter how long I drink tea, I just don’t have a consistent idea of how I would rate things, or on what basis. Add to that, I like almost everything I drink, with the exception of flavored teas that friends send me, which I sample but generally don’t purchase, although I do enjoy some of them. On the other hand, some of Butiki’s flavored teas are awesome! :)

Cameron B.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I have heard so many good things about Butiki, I can’t wait to order some of their stuff.

TheTeaFairy

I also had white peony tonight, delicious, and yes, hay!!!

Cantaloup & Cream is certainly one of the best flavoured tea available, you won’t regret it.

Terri HarpLady

I’m partial to the watermelon xylophone :)

Cameron B.

Yeah, Butiki has about a million teas that I want to try… >>’

Comments

Terri HarpLady

Welcome to Steepster!

Cameron B.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

TheTeaFairy

I also had white peony tonight, delicious, and yes, hay!!!

Terri HarpLady

I’m partial to the watermelon xylophone :)

Cameron B.

Yeah, Butiki has about a million teas that I want to try… >>’

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Sobacha
Blueberry
Cherry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Chocolate-Orange
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Dammann Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root