Trying this one as a cold brew today. I put this and some spearmint green in the fridge last night before bed (about a heaping teaspoon in 8 ounces of water for each one). Thanks again to Stephanie and Cheri for sharing your cold brew wisdom! Before taking it out, I made a simple syrup to sweeten with because trying to stir sugar into iced tea is one of my biggest pet peeves! >:|

I’m actually a little bit disappointed with this as a cold brew. The tea flavor is there, but I’m not getting nearly as much strawberry as I would like, even with sweetener added. There’s also a tiny bit of bitterness there, so I’m not sure if I shouldn’t have let it steep as long as I did (it was around 12 hours or so I think). Overall, it’s not bad but I definitely prefer this tea hot. I’m not going to change my rating because I feel like when a tea is also good iced, it’s a bonus rather than an expectation.

Iced 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
boychik

im not good with cold steeps. But sometimes i make it like iced tea, hot and chill.

Cameron B.

Yeah I might try doing this one that way and see how it compares. That might help with the bitterness.

yyz

Bitterness could be caused by either too long a steep or too much leaf. I usually steep mine 6-8 hrs overnight,but I am definitely not a regular cold steeper. I cold brew my flavoured greens and some of my Oolong’s.

Cameron B.

I think I’ll try this one again with both of your methods – the chilled hot brew and the shorter cold steep. Thanks for your comments and advice! :3

Stephanie

Good luck…you are good for not getting frustrated and trying again!

Cameron B.

@Stephanie – If it had been horrible I wouldn’t try again. :P But it wasn’t bad, just underwhelming.

Comments

boychik

yyz

Stephanie

Good luck…you are good for not getting frustrated and trying again!

Cameron B.

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Sobacha
Blueberry
Cherry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Chocolate-Orange
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Dammann Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root