drank Sakura Sencha by Den's Tea

Another tea from KiwiDelight’s Japanese green sample extravaganza package. It’s a sencha tea with the teensiest cherry blossom buds in it. Cute! The smell is a bit odd… I don’t really smell the sencha, just a strange vinegar scent?

After the tea is brewed, it smells more like a sencha, albeit a mild one. It’s grassy and spinachy in a very light way. There’s a light floral note, and that weird vinegar odor is still there in the background. It tastes similar to the smell – mild grassy sencha with just a wisp of floral taste. I taste vinegar in the back of my mouth at the beginning of the sip – strange but not wholly unpleasant. I asked my boyfriend what he thought, and he said it reminded him of apple cider (what?! weirdo). It seems to me that the floral note is mostly in the aroma.

This was definitely a very delicate tea. I don’t think it lent itself very well to western style – either that or I should have used more leaf. Interesting, but I’m not in love. :P

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Sweet

Stephanie

The sakura is basically a salted cherry blossom…that could be the vinegar element you are describing. Did you steep at a low temperature? Just curious :)

Cameron B.

I did it at 180. Kiwi sent me a note with steeping recommendations. :)

KiwiDelight

I thought it would be best to send you Den’s instructions. Personally, I don’t like them because the sencha and sakura come out too bitter. Totally recommend a cold-brew of this.

Stephanie

I LOVE THIS COLD BREWED! And lightly sweetened ;)

Comments

Stephanie

Cameron B.

I did it at 180. Kiwi sent me a note with steeping recommendations. :)

KiwiDelight

Stephanie

I LOVE THIS COLD BREWED! And lightly sweetened ;)

Currently trying to move out of the flavored tea phase and into those tasty straight teas!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Mariage Frères
Mellow Monk

Not A Fan
Green Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root