I purchased this from Shadowfall in her recent stash sale. Had to scoop up those Whispering Pines teas! I’ve actually never had a keemun before but I was willing to take the risk for such a reasonable price! :) The leaves are small, short, and extremely dark. I would describe it as “generic black tea” and I don’t mean that in a bad way. Dry, it smells a little musty with honey and raisin notes. Steeped for 3 minutes.

My first impression of the aroma was that it smells like an English Breakfast. There’s a little smoke and honey in there. The taste is quite bold! The strong flavor is the main event but it also has some very nice subtle accompaniments. There’s a lovely honey quality to it, and a very light smoke in the background. It’s a tad malty. I added about half a teaspoon of sugar and it brought out some lovely dark fruit notes that remind me of raisins or dates. This tea is a bit bold for me, but the sugar really helped the round out the flavor and I’m sure it would take milk very well.

A great experience for my very first Keemun! Thanks Shadowfall!

Flavors: Dates, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Smoke

TheTeaFairy

Interesting…I haven’t tried this one, but then again, it isn’t selling anymore, at least not under this name. Wonder if it was just replaced by Pine Peak Kummun.

Cameron B.

I just ordered some Pine Peak so I can definitely let you know if I think it tastes the same. :P If not, I can definitely send you some to try!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

It was replaced by Pine Peak, which is like 97x better ;)

TheTeaFairy

Cameron, thank you so much, you are sweet but I’m gonna pass….I have a hard time keeping up with my own stash right now, and I have tons more on the way :-o

Comments

TheTeaFairy

Cameron B.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

It was replaced by Pine Peak, which is like 97x better ;)

TheTeaFairy

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Mariage Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root