Another one from Nicole! And I’ve been really wanting to try this one too, mostly because of the adorable horse tin (hangs head in shame). I’m such a sucker for cute packages! The leaves are quite lovely – they’re somewhat long and curly and “fluffy”. About half golden and half brown. I ended up using closer to two teaspoons because of the fluffiness. I didn’t want to underleaf! The dry aroma is what I’m coming to expect from a very tippy Yunnan – bread and malt with honey and lovely stonefruit notes. Yummy.

At first, the tea smelled of just bread and honey. And I was okay with that! However, I noticed that as it started to cool to a more drinkable temperature, those stonefruit notes started poking their lovely little heads out. The taste is surprisingly light in texture. It’s predominantly bready malt with a bit of dried autumn leaves mixed in. And then there’s that little bit of honey sweetness too. I maybe get a little bit of a fruity aftertaste if I really look for it.

Overall, this tea is tasty. It’s uncomplicated, but done well and would make an excellent lighter everyday black tea.

So, a separate issue. I’ve made all three of my black teas today with bottled water instead of my usual tap. And they all three seemed to have the same mild bitterness. I don’t find that bitterness is usually an issue for me, since I generally do shortish steeps and use cooler water (200 degrees usually). So is it possible that my bottled water is making my teas taste more bitter…?

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Honey, Malt

Ost

Mmm that sounds so good!

Marzipan

I love the tin, although I thought it was a cow at first.

Cameron B.

I love it too! But I don’t love it enough to spend $25 on it when I could get a comparable or better tea for cheaper. :(

TheTeaFairy

I guess it depends of the water Cameron. For example, I can’t stand Dasani water, I think it tastes worse than some tap water. I’m lucky to have found what works best for me, I use Mavea filters and love my water cause it gets super soft.

Nicole

I have noticed similar issues with water. Usually when something turns out way off from what others have noticed on here I try with a different water. I have some teas that I can’t stand when done with spring water from the local grocery store or the filtered water at work but with my tap water at home I love them. As TheTeaFairy said, just have to find what works best for you and if you like the tea, try to remember how you made it. :) That’s the part I have trouble with…

Comments

Ost

Mmm that sounds so good!

Marzipan

I love the tin, although I thought it was a cow at first.

Cameron B.

TheTeaFairy

Nicole

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Sobacha
Blueberry
Cherry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Chocolate-Orange
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Dammann Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root