This sample is also from Nicole (although I did also order a sample of this, hah!). It’s a blend of Yunnan and Fujian teas, which is pretty obvious by looking at it. It has the longer, lighter colored tippy Yunnan leaves and then there are also shorter, darker Fujian leaves. It smells very nice – bready with malt and honey and a little cocoa. Steeped according to the package directions.

The aroma is similar to the dry leaf, with an added dark raisiny note. The taste is definitely a hybrid. It’s like a light Yunnan that has been dragged down into darkness by its Fujian counterpart. It still has those lovely lighter malty bread and honey notes, but there’s an underlying depth and richness from bitter cocoa and syrupy molasses. In the middle is the lovely raisin fruitiness that helps to tie these two together. A very nice combination! I’ll have to be sure to try the Fujian on its own soon so I can fully appreciate this blend.

I will say one thing, this has given me a much greater appreciation of Golden Orchid. While this does have some dark and bitter cocoa flavor, it’s nowhere close to the same. So clearly those little vanilla beans have a huge effect! Can’t wait to try that one again later today… :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dark Bittersweet, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Raisins

See, I knew my taste buds were tin-foil-hatting again. I got smoke off of this one. :(

Hello, my name is Cameron. I’m 25 years old and currently living in New York state with my lovely boyfriend (a software architect). I am currently not employed, which leaves plenty of time for cooking and tea-drinking! I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-face dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one. :(

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Taiwanese Blacks
Yunnans (esp. Pure Bud)
Lightly Roasted Oolongs
Japanese Greens
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Capital Tea Limited
Yunnan Sourcing

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Strong Licorice Root