This is my second time trying this one, after not loving it the first time. Thankfully, a lot of people here on Steepster gave me advice and hints so hopefully I can have a better experience with this one. I’m doing the TheTeaFairy and Dexter method, which is basically low and slow. :P 5 minutes at 190 degrees, and with bottled water instead of tap (thanks Brenden).

Well, it definitely tastes different. This time I’m getting a ton of sweet potato and almost butternut squash taste. Very creamy, but almost savory. It’s definitely fruity as well, but mostly dark fruits like plums and raisins. I’m not sure on the whole salted caramel idea, I think what I taste is probably closer to molasses. And I still definitely am getting a slight floral aftertaste.

Overall, it’s good but I’m not “in love” with it. Maybe this one just isn’t totally for me… I would be curious to try tap water with the same brewing time and temperature, maybe in a few days when I’ve gotten through part of my humongous Nicole Yunnan collection. :P Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.

Flavors: Butternut Squash, Molasses, Plums, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

Nicole

Part of that humongosity is boychik’s fault. :) I passed on the tons of samples she gave me from YS. :) So I don’t have all of that Yunnan in my house! Not yet, anyway…

TheTeaFairy

Glad it worked a little better for you this time around :-)

boychik

Blame it on me, haha. And don’t forget Terri. She introduced me to YS. After that I ordered a ton and I don’t regret because I can share and spread YS love

boychik

Cameron, do you have Ai Lao fr YS?

Cameron B.

Nicole did send me a sample of Ai Lao Mountain Black if that’s the one you mean. :)

boychik

Yes. Can you do them side by side?

Cameron B.

Sure, I can try that. I only have one brewing basket but I should be able to keep the first one hot since I have lids for my mugs. :)

boychik

Oh, what if you make in two identical cups and just strain. I think it should be done at the same time, same temp, same equipment

Comments

Nicole

TheTeaFairy

Glad it worked a little better for you this time around :-)

boychik

Cameron, do you have Ai Lao fr YS?

boychik

Yes. Can you do them side by side?

boychik

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Sobacha
Blueberry
Cherry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Chocolate-Orange
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Dammann Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root