My first tea from Yunnan Sourcing! Thanks go to Nicole for sending me samples of several of their teas. I chose this one to try first because the leaves are so beautiful, like soft golden pine needles. They’re fuzzy and completely gold in color. The smell is all honey, with just a little malt and sweet fruit. I did a 3 minute steep.

The aroma is full of honey as well, with that same malt and a sweet fruitiness that I would describe as golden raisin. But interestingly, the first thing I taste when sipping this is fresh, bright cucumber. Cucumber? In a black tea? But there it is. Alongside malt and a light honeyed fruitiness. I just kept sipping to make sure I wasn’t crazy, and then I asked my boyfriend who agreed that he tasted cucumber. Success! As I let it cool further, the cucumber transformed slightly into honeydew melon, similar but sweeter. The aftertaste is surprisingly floral with a touch of stonefruit.

This is definitely a different flavor profile than any other Yunnan teas I’ve tried so far, and I enjoyed it. Honeydew is one of my favorite flavors and even though it’s odd for a black tea, I thought it worked really well to lighten this tea and add freshness. Definitely recommended!

Flavors: Cucumber, Floral, Honey, Honeydew, Malt

Sarsonator

Wow, a chameleon tea! I love trying teas and finding unexpected or changing flavors. It’s like a treasure hunt!

yyz

That’s really interesting how a longer steep and more leaf can change the flavour profile. I can definitely see it happening because the later steeps were so floral and savoury.

TheTeaFairy

Very nice review :-)

boychik

Happy First Yunnan Sourcing Tea! Many more to come;)

Cameron B.

boychik, you have no idea! Nicole sent me so many, ha ha. And apparently a lot of them were from you originally, so thanks! ;)

boychik

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. And maybe you will get into Puerh because this is the tea it’s made of. You are training your palate ;-)

Comments

Sarsonator

yyz

TheTeaFairy

Very nice review :-)

boychik

Happy First Yunnan Sourcing Tea! Many more to come;)

Cameron B.

boychik

Currently trying to move out of the flavored tea phase and into those tasty straight teas!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Flavored Black
Light to Medium Yunnan
Mild Sencha/Kabusecha
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry