Drinking this tonight because I figured since white tea has the lowest caffeine content, I can count it as a nighttime tea. :P Butterscotch is one of my favorite flavors, so I had to choose this tea when I ordered samples from The Persimmon Tree. The dry leaf is a mixture of (very) broken-up bai mudan leaves, a few golden flower petals, and red peppercorns. I have no idea why there are peppercorns in a butterscotch tea, but I’ll go with it. It smells very lovely and candy-like, with a little bit of spice and an interesting crisp, fresh flavor that reminds me of cucumbers or a crunchy pear. I steeped for 3 minutes.

The aroma is lovely creamy butterscotch and hay from the white tea. There is a tiny bit of spiciness and something that smells like licorice root… Uh oh, I hate licorice root. Well, this does taste like butterscotch, in a very mild way. And it goes nicely with the natural flavor of the white tea. However, this is some kind of weird flavor in here, and I’m not sure where it’s coming from. I guess it could be from the peppercorns, but it really tastes like licorice root. I’m thinking maybe there’s some kind of alcohol flavor element to their butterscotch flavoring?

Holding off on a rating until I try this without the peppercorns in, to see if that makes any difference…

Flavors: Alcohol, Butterscotch, Hay

boychik

White tea is not lowest on caffeine. They say it’s highest, least processed. I’m sure you will be fine.

Cameron B.

I’ve definitely seen multiple sources saying white is the lowest. I guess there’s just a lot of conflicting information on this.

Cameron B.

Luckily, I’m not generally too heavily affected by caffeine, so it’s really a moot point. I drink black tea pretty late in the day. :P

boychik

Me too. I drink black and especially Puerh very late, like right now till midnight

Amariel

I was so stoked for this tea til you mentioned licorice. Boo.

Comments

boychik

Amariel

I was so stoked for this tea til you mentioned licorice. Boo.

Currently trying to move out of the flavored tea phase and into those tasty straight teas!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Flavored Black
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Mild Sencha/Kabusecha
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Currently Exploring:
Chinese Black
Oxidized/Roasted Oolong

Not A Fan
Green Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root