This was the chai I chose when making my Whispering Pines order. Looking back, I’m not sure why I chose this one, I must have been in a chocolatey mood! And I do enjoy the tea used as its base – their Fujian Black. Anyway! Dry, it has the small, dark Fujian leaves mixed with chunks of spices. I see whole cloves and cinnamon bark among other things. I have to say, the smell shocked me. It is so gingery! And for some reason I get menthol (I don’t think I selected to have the mint added, but I may be wrong!). It’s like inhaling Vicks Vaporub, and it definitely clears your sinuses! I am not the hugest ginger fan, so this got me worried…

The brewed aroma is less intense, but still smells strongly of ginger. I can pick up on the other spices now, particularly the clove and cinnamon. The taste is also extreme ginger. I had to add sugar and vanilla soy milk to be able to drink it, really. But once it has additions, it’s pleasant enough. I can taste the chocolate (definitely a milk chocolate with the milk added) and the ginger is quite strong but the sharpness is reduced. I would definitely drink this one latte-style from now on, so I can add more milk without watering it down.

Overall, I’m not going to rate this one because whether or not someone likes ginger is definitely a personal preference. It’s weird, I didn’t see anyone mention super strong ginger in their notes. I guess I could try stirring up the tea some more, but considering the super strong ginger and menthol aroma, I doubt that would change it. I’m definitely not in love with this one. :(

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Cocoa, Ginger, Menthol

Sarsonator

My motto is: there’s no such thing as too much ginger. LOL. I can see that you and I do not agree on this motto. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

The menthol is most likely from the cardamom. It has a very cooling aroma.

Interesting that you got so much ginger out of it…Perhaps try giving the bag a nice mix-up? Or perhaps you have a more sensitive ginger sniffer? Hehe :)

Cameron B.

Yeah, I’ll be sure to dump it in a tin and stir it up the next time I try it. Hopefully there will be less ginger! :P

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:) I’m a ginger lover, too…so maybe I am heavy on the ginger? But yeah, I haven’t read that in other notes. hmmm

Sarsonator

If all else fails, you could pick out all the ginger pieces and send them to me. LOL :p

Cameron B.

Hah, will do Sarsonator! Crazy ginger person.

yyz

Ginger makes a chai for me too. Where I was in India in late winter to pre-monsoon drought it was the most common flavouring for tea. Sometimes that was it ( except for the milk and sugar, of course)!

boychik

I had a cup of El Dorado last night and it has pretty strong ginger, but it tasted soo fresh. I liked it with maple syrup.

Sarsonator

I adore fresh ginger!!! Soooo good!!!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Chewing on fresh ginger root is amazing :)

Sarsonator

Hey Cameron, maybe you would like wild ginger. I find it to be milder.

Comments

Sarsonator

Whispering Pines Tea Company

The menthol is most likely from the cardamom. It has a very cooling aroma.

Cameron B.

Hah, will do Sarsonator! Crazy ginger person.

yyz

boychik

Sarsonator

I adore fresh ginger!!! Soooo good!!!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Chewing on fresh ginger root is amazing :)

Sarsonator

Hey Cameron, maybe you would like wild ginger. I find it to be milder.

Currently trying to move out of the flavored tea phase and into those tasty straight teas!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Flavored Black
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Mild Sencha/Kabusecha
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Currently Exploring:
Chinese Black
Oxidized/Roasted Oolong

Not A Fan
Green Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root