Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

This is the first tea I’ve tried from 52 Teas. Theirs flavors seem interesting, but it’s not something that’s high on my tea priority list. I’ve also never had a Darjeeling that I know of… Looks like black tea leaves with a bunch of pieces of dried orange peel. It smells very orangey in an orange peel oil sort of way – more sharp than sweet. I don’t know much about Darjeeling, but I’ve heard it needs to be steeped at a lower temperature, so I did 190 in lieu of my usual 200.

This tea is…interesting. The orange is very present, and it’s definitely that same sharper orange oil flavor. There’s a touch of sweet and creaminess from the vanilla. And the base is giving me this interesting herby spice flavor, similar to what I’ve tasted sometimes in some Yunnan teas. Fennel seed, maybe? It’s definitely a savory spice. Overall, I feel like the flavor combination of this tea wasn’t that well thought-out. This is definitely the wrong type of orange flavor to go with vanilla. A sweeter, more juicy orange would have worked better for a dreamsicle tea. Overall, I did like it, but I kept coming back to its shortcomings…

Flavors: Cream, Herbaceous, Orange Zest, Spices, Vanilla

mj

You really should try a non-flavored darjeeling! They don’t get a lot of love on Steepster, but I like them a lot especially as a good summer tea

Cameron B.

I definitely will eventually. I’m just working on Chinese blacks right now and after I feel like I’ve got a good grasp, I’ll probably move on to Taiwanese or Indian. :) What’s the general flavor profile of a Darjeeling?

apt

taiwanese blacks are better than indian blacks

mj

Generally, Darjeelings are very light for a black tea. There are often grape (like wine, not fresh grapes) notes and what I think of as “mountain air” taste hehe. Sometimes there’s citrus flavors too. They taste different based on when they are harvested, although I haven’t experimented with the different flushes yet. Oh, and darjeeling is actually a Chinese tea even though it’s grown in India :)

Comments

mj

Cameron B.

apt

taiwanese blacks are better than indian blacks

mj

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Sobacha
Blueberry
Cherry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Chocolate-Orange
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Dammann Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root