Hooray, home again! I had several lovely packages waiting for me, including my 3rd anniversary sampler from TeaVivre. Hooray! And then I realized that the one thing I forgot at my mother’s house… my brew basket. Fuck. So for now I’m brewing my tea in a Pyrex glass cup and pouring it through a sieve into my mug. Definitely inconvenient, but at least it works… I’ll order another basket with Amazon Prime and have it in a couple days. Obviously I should order two! :P

So, this tea… The dry leaves are dark and they have that long, spindly, spider-leg appearance that I generally associate with Taiwanese black teas. The scent is super malt with chewy grain and dried fruit notes. Yummy!

Brewed aroma is still quite malty, and there’s an interesting tang in there, maybe from the dried fruit? Also dark grain and molasses notes. I was very surprised when I tasted this that the first thing I detected was smoke! I didn’t get that at all from the aroma. The first sip was definitely smoky and earthy, with malt and dark grainy bread. However, I noticed as I kept drinking this tea, the smoke and earth taste dissipated. I was left with a combination of bread, raw chewy grains, and toasted grains. There was also a bit of woodiness along with pipe tobacco (unlit) and just a little hint of syrupy, rich dried fruit and molasses. I got a very thick and rich mouthfeel, and there was a little bit of creaminess accompanying.

Overall, I find this to be a rather complex tea with a lot of different notes, I can see it being interesting gong fu style. Thanks so much to TeaVivre for giving me the chance to try this lovely tea for (basically) free! Love you gals! :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Earth, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Roasted, Smoke, Tobacco, Wood

MzPriss

This sounds yummy.

Cameron B.

I was so happy when I saw that this was one of the options for the sampler. The name along is intriguing! But the flavor was very good too, if you like grainy teas. :D

Terri HarpLady

Just placed a Teavivre order, in part to get some of this one :)

Cameron B.

Awesome! I placed mine the minute Round 2 of the sale started, lol. I was way too excited. :P

Tea Sipper

I thought this one would be like the other one from Teavivre that isn’t my favorite.. I should have got a sample of this one!

Cameron B.

Tea Sipper, you mean the other nonpareil black tea? I haven’t tried it, but I think I ordered a sample. :)

Comments

MzPriss

This sounds yummy.

Terri HarpLady

Just placed a Teavivre order, in part to get some of this one :)

Tea Sipper

Cameron B.

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Mariage Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root