This is a tea that I’ve been really curious about for a while now, so I’m so excited that I got some in my swap from Roswell Strange! Thanks so much! I love marshmallow treats, and I love genmaicha, so obviously this one is a must-try. Visually, it pretty much looks like any other genmaicha, but with the addition of some mallow root pieces. There are a lot of rice kernels, along with a few popped ones. For some reason, the dry leaf smell like black walnuts to me, and I hate black walnuts. Possibly some scent contamination since there were several flavored teas in the envelope, but I’m not sure! None of the others really smell like black walnuts to me, so… Who knows? Anyway!

The brewed tea mostly smells like toasted rice, maybe with a little touch of vanilla in there. I tasted it sans sweetener and I found it mostly tasted like a plain ol’ genmaicha, albeit with extra toasty rice. So then I added sugar, and that definitely helped it to taste more like its namesake. The sweetness really helped the marshmallow/vanilla flavor to come out and play, yum! There’s a buttery taste – I’m not sure whether it’s flavoring or from the green tea itself. The green tea is there a little bit in the background, it mostly manifests as an autumn leafy taste and a slight grassiness.

Overall, I can definitely get the marshmallow treat reference once sugar is added. After all, marshmallows are mostly just sugar themselves. This is toastier than a marshmallow treat, but I think I would very much enjoy one made with toasted grains! Thanks again, Roswell Strange! I really appreciate the chance to try this one, since it’s discontinued. Luckily, I don’t quite love it enough to try to get ahold of some.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Butter, Grass, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

Sarsonator

Sounds pretty good, Cambot!!!

Cameron B.

Hah, you’re such a nerd. I think I prefer Lady Gaga as far as vanilla-ish genmaicha goes! Not really the same thing, but close enough. :D

Oh yeah, I know. :p

The idea is similar, so that makes sense! I wish I could like the greens more.

Mandy

I dot know if you have any left, but you should really try it latte style. I haven’t had this but I had the s’mores genmaicha latte style and it really brought out the creamy marshmallow. 1/2 cup water 1/2 milk and the tea and sweetener and simmer it for a bit

I’ll try that Mandy, thanks. :D

Comments

Sarsonator

Sounds pretty good, Cambot!!!

Oh yeah, I know. :p

The idea is similar, so that makes sense! I wish I could like the greens more.

Mandy

I’ll try that Mandy, thanks. :D

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Sobacha
Blueberry
Cherry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Chocolate-Orange
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Dammann Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root