Hooray, another tea from my 3rd anniversary sampler! I had totally forgotten which teas I chose as my optional ones, and I ended up ordering a sample of this in my sale order the night before last. Oops. I sent them an email asking to change it, just because I would rather try a different tea than one I’ve already had. If not, I won’t be too upset, because this tea is tasty. :D The dry leaves are long and sort of twisty, but more flat than I normally see. They’re quite dark, similar to a black tea. Their smell is a combination of musty hay, sweet honey, and dried apricots.

Mmm, roasty goodness. The brewed tea smells like autumn leaves and stonefruit, with a definite roasted note. I also get roasted leaves as the main note in the taste. It is accompanied by lovely ripe stonefruit drizzled with honey, and a touch of dark, rich raisin. There’s a little bit of a floral note that appears mostly in the aftertaste – I’m not a huge fan of floral, but I don’t mind it here. I also get a lingering roasty taste after the floral dissipates, and it lingers for quite some time. My brew came out a teensy bit bitter, but I think I overleafed it a bit and I probably should have stopped the steep at 2 minutes. Good to know for next time!

Overall, a lovely dark oolong. I can definitely see the similarities between this one and Oriental Beauty-style oolongs. Can’t wait to try more of this type of tea! :D

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Roasted, Stonefruits

boychik

this sounds yummy!

Stephanie

I love Dancong, but I’ve never had Teavivres! yum!

Cameron B.

This is the first Dan Cong I’ve had, so I couldn’t tell you whether it’s similar to others or not. :P I enjoyed it, though!

Comments

boychik

this sounds yummy!

Stephanie

I love Dancong, but I’ve never had Teavivres! yum!

Cameron B.

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Mariage Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root