drank Dan Cong Phoenix by teasenz

This tea sample was provided for free in exchange for review. You can find it here: http://www.teasenz.com/feng-huang-dan-cong-phoenix-oolong-tea#.U-pCB_ldXX8

I have little experience with oxidized oolongs in general, but I always seem drawn to them when browsing. So I decided to choose both this tea and the Da Hong Pao as two of my free samples from teasenz. The leaves of this tea are dark, long, and twisty, similar to some black teas. They smell of autumn leaves with a tart fruitiness and some honey. I brewed about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half for 4 minutes.

The brewed tea smells very roasty with a lot of autumn leaf. I can also smell fruit and a bit of honey. I’m not sure if “autumn leaves” is a good descriptor for this flavor, but that’s really what I reminds me of! There’s a definite roasted characteristic to this tea, and it’s quite lovely. The main flavor is definitely that “autumn leaf” taste, though. There is a rather strong stonefruit note, reminding me most of apricots or tart plums, and it’s present throughout the sip. I definitely get some floral as well, although I couldn’t tell you what kind. On their website they list lotus as one of the flavors, so maybe that’s it? It’s not heady at all. The only complaint I have about this tea is the way it leaves my mouth feeling. I wouldn’t quite call it astringent, but it’s almost dusty-feeling? I’m not sure how to describe it. Anyway, a small price to pay for taste! :P

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Roasted, Stonefruits

boychik

Dancong needs to be rinsed for a few secs. And gongfu. Western doesn’t do a justice. I was turned off and didn’t want to try when I made them western. Just my 2c. Sorry;)

Cameron B.

Never be sorry, silly. Advice is always welcome! I actually ordered a gaiwan yesterday so I’ll try some gong fu when it gets here. Tired of burning my fingers. >.<

yyz

That’s true, they also tend to be more sadtringent than other Oolong’s. If it is a strong flavour oolong I found even brewing 30s may be too much for a first infusion. I got some and used Teavivre instructions the first time and it was way to long a steep for a first steep. On the other hand I do have one light flavoured Dancong that is the only tea I western brew. If you find it to roasty at first do as boychik reccomends and rinse it at least once.

boychik

I just feel like im nagging you constantly : Do gongfu, do gongfu!
I really, really like my reintroduction to Dancong. Jing Tea shop carries amazing teas. i think i should ask teasenz for the samples, just to confirm.

KiwiDelight

Anoter 2 cents: Dancong tastes divine with gongfu. True story.

Pics for gaiwan please! Also there’s another way to hold the gaiwan when you pour: http://www.teanerd.com/2007/03/beginners-guide-to-gaiwans.html

Comments

boychik

Cameron B.

yyz

boychik

I just feel like im nagging you constantly : Do gongfu, do gongfu!

KiwiDelight

Anoter 2 cents: Dancong tastes divine with gongfu. True story.

I am a shameless Western steeper!

My general tea info:

Likes:
Taiwanese Blacks
French Flavored Teas
Yunnan (esp. Pure Bud varieties)
Lightly Roasted Oolong
Japanese Greens (esp. Sencha & Gyokuro)
Genmaicha (traditional or otherwise)
Blueberry
Vanilla
Fig
Almond/Marzipan
Most “Dessert” Flavors (caramel, toffee, butterscotch, cake, cookie, etc.)

Favorite Companies:
Mariage Frères
Yunomi

Not A Fan
High Mountain Oolong
Overly Floral (esp. Rose)
Licorice Root