drank Wu Yi Ensemble by Adagio Teas

Another tea from Lena F. So this is the tea that has all the weight loss hype… Kinda ironic since that’s the very reason I got into loose leaf and am just now trying it over 2 years later.

I love the look and feel of the raw leaf. Most twisted tea is very thin- this reminded me more of a small gnarled twig. There’s almost no scent, but what scent is there is a light and slightly sweet one.

2.25g/6oz. Gosh after all my excitement over Japanese greens, it seems odd to use my tea scale. I missed it!

I wasn’t sure how long to steep it so I decided to go on the light side. The liquor is a light copper, the aroma sweet but with depth and complexity. The taste is smooth and much like the aroma- sweet but not fruity, sugary, or desserty and a touch, but only a touch, earthy. It’s deep and complex w/ being strong or bitter. I don’t care that it doesn’t live up to the hype of being a miracle tea. I’ll still be drinking a lot of this!

Cofftea

2nd infusion, 4 min. Quite similar to the 1st. Liquor is a bit lighter maybe and more orangy- a burnt orange color. The taste is also maybe a but lighter, smoother.

LENA

you are most welcome. I had no idea about this being a “miracle tea” or weight loss tea. I just liked the taste.

Cofftea

3rd infusion, 5 min. Orange liquor, reminds me of pumpkin pie. Slightly sweet, smooth, and grounded.

Cofftea

As much as I LOVE my bowla matcha, I like to cleanse my palate after drinking a bowl- not necessarily of the taste, but more of the texture and mouth feel. 4th infusion, 6min. Liquor is a bit lighter and more yellowish. Taste is very similar to infusion 3- smooth and clean.

Cofftea

The snow has stopped, but w/ 15 to -30 wind chills I’m so cold even in the house that I don’t want to move even to make tea or lunch. It’s 2pm and I just got done eating. Lasagna tv dinner sauce was on the sweet side, only 2 layers (I prefer 3), and the sausage had a LOT of fennel in it. I like mine made w/ beef for that reason. Now, on to what I had w/ that lasagna. Infusion 5, 7 min. Holy cow! Is this the same tea? Am I suddenly on top of the Grand Canyon? Because this had a huge drop off in both liquor and flavor. The light yellowish green liquor makes it look like a white or green tea and the taste definitely matches that of a light, slightly sweet green or white. That’s NOT bad, but I’m disappointed it dropped off so drastically. I’ve been surprised before, I’m praying it makes a come back next time.

Cofftea

Madison doesn’t want to go outside even though she needs to cuz it’s so cold and windy, but I don’t blame her. This means letting a lot of cold air in the house. Making infusion 6 to warm up. The liquor is back! OK, well I forced it. I would have normally steeped this infusion for 8 min, but bumped it up to 10. The liquor is now a dull mustard brown and the flavor is exactly like infusion 5 only stronger.

Cofftea

Infusion 7, 12 min. The liquor is a lovely golden color and the taste is light and clean.

Cofftea

Infusion 7, 16 min. Liquor is lighter than infusion 7, and flavor sweeter than it’s been in a while.

Cofftea

Infusion 8, 20 min. lighter, but still sweet and good.

Cofftea

oops, last infusion was 9. this is 10. 27 min. VERY light liquor- champagneish. Taste is also very light, but sweet and clean.

Cofftea

Infusion 11, 36min. Liquor same as #10, flavor a bit stronger. These leaves are dead. Funny.. the leaves infusions 2-11 looked like raffia. I would have thought they’d be totally flat by now.

Comments

Cofftea

LENA

Cofftea

Infusion 8, 20 min. lighter, but still sweet and good.

Cofftea

Are you a company or tea blender on sites like Adagio that would you like your tea reviewed? If so, please e-mail me @ [email protected].

What I most enjoy from obtaining samples from companies to review is that it helps me to better learn to drink and review teas from a more objective perspective, meaning more of the “This tea is…” point of view rather than the “I like/don’t like” this tea. I feel objectivism in tea reviews is EXTREMELY important because no two tea drinkers tastes are exactly the same. I’ve also been extremely surprised by several teas. I love recieving a sample I think I will be only writing an objective review on, only to completely fall in love with it upon tasting it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are you interested in redoing or starting your own tea related website or adding Search Engine Optimization? If so, please contact me at my work e-mail address: [email protected]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tea tastes:
I will ALWAYS pick loose leaf over tea bags. I only drink bagged tea if that’s my only choice or I find a flavor that I can’t find a loose leaf version for. When I do drink bagged; however, I always weigh my bag and am constantly curious as to the weight/flavor ratio- sometimes I am quite surprised by the flavor punch of light bags.

I have a preference for organic and fair trade teas (preferably both), but would never pass up an amzing tea just because it isn’t organic and/or fair trade.

I love savory teas.

I’m currently searching for a chai flavored soy powder or a soy based chai mix (either already mixed or a recipe).

I hardly EVER sweeten my teas. I feel that sweeteners (unless flavored like tea honeys, brown sugar, ice cream topping syrups, flavored coffee syrups, etc) do not add anything to the flavor profile of tea- in fact, I’ve found that they dumb down the flavors.

I NEVER serve my tea over regular iced cubes- I always make tea cubes.

I LOVE cooking w/ tea and making smoothTEAS.

I LOVE tea blending.

I rarely drink herbal teas unless they are mixed with true teas. My favorite herbals to mix with true teas are: spearmint, peppermint, lemongrass, rose hips, and gingeroot.

I can’t stand anything w/ fennel or anise. Hot black teas (except orange pekoe bagged tea that you get when you go out to eat and chai teas) tend to upset my stomach.

I drink matcha daily and love flavoring it. I’m also in a constant search of preflavored matchas.

I’m constantly searching for information on how to prepare tea authentically according to its country of origin.

My Tasting Notes Ratings (edited 8/8/10)
1: I can’t even stand the raw leaf enough to make this (I’ve never owned a tea w/ this rating, but I’ve smelled some before buying resulting in me NOT buying them that were that bad)

2: I steeped this tea but couldn’t stand the aroma enough to get it past my nose

3: I immediately gagged at the 1st sip and spit it out.

4: I manageed to get the 1st sip down, but I tossed the rest.

5: I drank the 1st cup but I can’t bring myself to resteep

6: Made it thru the entire set of infusions but I can’t bring myself to tinker w/ the parameters and won’t be making it again.

7-10: Does not taste anything like the ingredients or name suggests (i.e. Adagio’s Sour apple)

11-25: I can taste some of the ingredients, but the flavor is severely lacking

25-49: Teas that I would not consider bad in their flavor profile, but certainly below average

50: Average.

51-69: Teas above averge, but I wouldn’t go as far as calling them “good”.

70-75: Very good, but still room for improvement

76-85: Above average flavor profile

86-90: REALLY good flavors

91-99: Almost PERFECTLY achieves the goal of the ingredients and name of the tea.

100: Abosolutely perfect teas!

Other Interests: GOD! and all things pertaining to Him and His children, my dog Madison, travelling, and coffee.

Favorite Music: ANYTHING Christian. I don’t normally listen to secular music, but I do love jazz and swing.

Favorite Movies: Romantic comedies mostly. My Sister’s Keeper, P.S. I Love You, Fireproof, National Treasure Trilogy (I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE 3rd ONE TO COME OUT!), Night at the Museum 1 & 2, Sister Act 1 & 2, Yes Man, Bruce & Evan Almighty, rarely watch animated movies but LOVE anything 3D.

Favorite Books: THE BIBLE!!! & My Sister’s Keeper

Favorite Quotes: “A sad soul can kill you far quicker than a germ”- John Stienbeck "

Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing”- Aristotle

“You should always carry burdens, but they should never be your own”- me

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ~ Winston Churchill

“Mom was right, ‘because I say so’ is enough- at least when it comes to God.”- me

Favorite Foods: fried calamari, lemon chicken, anything w/ buffalo sauce.

Favorite Places: WA state, Switzerland, Orlando

Places I Want to Visit: Hawaii, Africa

Anything Else: I was born with a birth defect called Spina Bifida which is the failure of the spinal column to close en utero. Because of this I am a parapelegic and use a manual wheelchair.

Oshkosh, WI