drank Yuzu Temple by Mariage Frères

Yuzu is my catnip.. I’m not exaggerating. whenever I get a whiff of it on anything I go a tad crazy. Unsurprisingly, I was very ecstatic to hear of the existence of this tea and that a friend was able to bring me back some.

Taking off the lid, my expectations are fulfilled. Sour and sweet, abrasive, tart Yuzu. I would hold the leaves up under my nose all day except in fear that they would lose their powerful scent. Nevermind me looking insane.

Steeped, the tea tastes like.. yuzu (surprise)! It’s taken down a notch from the smell of the dry leaves but this isn’t a mystery tea- it has one agenda, much to my delight. It’s almost as tart as a grapefruit but it’s sweeter, and yes, there is a slight peppery note. Another great citrus flavoured green for me.

It will be a very sad day when I run out. Luckily, a small serving offers multiple steeps; I’m going to stretch this one out for all it’s worth.

Tea Preferences: My absolute favourites are the floral inclined oolong and white teas. I also enjoy unflavoured green teas, as well as some black teas (flavoured, unflavoured, Indian, Chinese, etc). Puerh is a hit or miss.

Fruit, cedar, anise, and vanilla are good. Black licorice, bergamot, and cheap chocolate are less good. Jasmine, cinnamon, and hibiscus are usually too strong in teas for my taste, but I otherwise like these flavours!

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: There’s no way to put it nicely..

BC, Canada