drank Lapsang Souchong by Silk Road

I’ve never had Lapsang Souchong before so I don’t know how well it holds up to other brands but I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised on how much I ended up liking it.

It smells like campfire and I initially bought it solely for cooking purposes (there are some good recipes out there that use this tea as a rub). My curiosity peaked and I finally made myself a cup last night. I was amazed by the complexity of the flavours. Yes, there is a dominating (almost nostalgic) smokiness to it but I also got buttery and spicy notes and, call my crazy, but there was almost something sweet beneath it all too. I’m impressed. I have yet to re-steep it and I can’t say I would want to drink it it all the time but I will be looking more into this kind of tea. It’s intriguing, comforting, and yummy.

Tea Preferences: My absolute favourites are the floral inclined oolong and white teas. I also enjoy unflavoured green teas, as well as some black teas (flavoured, unflavoured, Indian, Chinese, etc). Puerh is a hit or miss.

Fruit, cedar, anise, and vanilla are good. Black licorice, bergamot, and cheap chocolate are less good. Jasmine, cinnamon, and hibiscus are usually too strong in teas for my taste, but I otherwise like these flavours!

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: There’s no way to put it nicely..

BC, Canada