Sometimes, I just want something predictable to wind down with. No crazy ingredients, funky aromas, or overwhelming flavours- just a nice and simple tea.

Vanilla Plantation is a flavoured tea but it’s a straightforward and honest one. The vanilla here is not overwhelming enough to cause a headache, like some jasmine and vanilla teas. Instead, it maintains its simple Ceylon base with only enough vanilla bean to create a mellow and creamy sweet cloud.

There has never been even a hint of bitterness in all the times I’ve had this although there is a slight pleasant pungency which keeps the tea from being too soft and dull. Undoubtedly, there are better vanilla blacks out there but this is the nicest I’ve had so far. It’s so rich it tastes like it already has milk. It’s similar to Silk Road’s London Fog, with a creamy start than a pointy black base to skim through it.

The dry leaves smell of vanilla with something vaguely citrus-like. The liquor is a bright gold. Wet leaves are brown and fragrant and hold up well for two steeps.

I’ve also had this iced with chocolate soy milk which is very tasty. I’m glad my friend convinced me to buy this- it’s become one of my favourite Silk Road teas.

Bonnie

Sounds delightful!

Cavocorax

Mmm sounds great. I’m also super curious about Silk Road’s London Fog. Googling it now. :P

Fjellrev

I’m so happy that you finally reviewed this! Despite the fact that I’ve been eyeing this forever, I’ve been too lazy to go there every time I’m downtown.

CrowKettle

The London Fog is ok, especially if it’s infused in milk. It’s a Ceylon based earl grey with vanilla- so lots of citrus! Silk Road seems to be fond (maybe too fond?) of their Ceylon and citrus pairings.

I usually miss the shop on my trips downtown as well, or it’s closed by the time I get there. If you want to try their teas I think this is a decent one to start with! Silk Road might not be the best out there but their selection of simple and straight teas contrasts nicely with the David’s Tea and Murchies nearby. When you visit the shop they should give you two free samples to drink too.

hmmm i may have to give these guys a try. This sounds delicious!

Comments

Bonnie

Sounds delightful!

Cavocorax

Fjellrev

CrowKettle

hmmm i may have to give these guys a try. This sounds delicious!

Tea Preferences: My absolute favourites are the floral inclined oolong and white teas. I also enjoy unflavoured green teas, as well as some black teas (flavoured, unflavoured, Indian, Chinese, etc). Puerh is a hit or miss.

Fruit, cedar, anise, and vanilla are good. Black licorice, bergamot, and cheap chocolate are less good. Jasmine, cinnamon, and hibiscus are usually too strong in teas for my taste, but I otherwise like these flavours!

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: There’s no way to put it nicely..

BC, Canada