When I think of nauseating, overpowering jasmine teas this is one of them.

This pretty pink tin of twenty tea bags was given to me as a birthday gift last year. It was an incredibly sweet thought and I had never seen pearls before this. The individual sachet bags are gorgeous; the leaves themselves look like delicately rolled bits of green and white cloth. At the time, the jasmine aroma reminded me of root beer.

This tea is consistent. The jasmine is exuberantly floral. Sometimes, I pick up a pleasant “salty” sweet finish. The flavours have a tendency to overwhelm and I can’t imagine following the suggested four minute steep.

Unfortunately, this isn’t one of those teas I find myself reaching for. I still have twenty tea bags. They must have given me extra because I’ve had this at least three times in the last year.. just did a count on my gifted Paris tin and, although it says “twenty sachets”, I counted twenty-one. Lucky me!

Lady 0f Spaydes

I love super-jasmine. Jasmine has always beenn a good friend to me. When I was a kid and couldn’t sleep at night, i’d sneak outside and stare at the moon and I could smell jasmine from blocks away. :) Maybe it’s just me, but the more jasmine, the better!

greg

Hi guys, i’m new here. Just to react to this. I’ve tasted my first jasmine tea this morning (Oriental Jasmine, twinings). Steeped in a french press. 4/5 minutes. P
A great smell for my flat. But it is really bitter.
erhaps you’ve got some suggestions for me.
The first tea without sugar i’ve drank is Christmas Tea. With an absolute pleasure.

CrowKettle

I love the smell too; we even have a jasmine plant in the backyard! Embarrassingly however, jasmine, along with vanilla and honey, tend to make me feel faint. I’m a wimp.

Hi Greg, I’m somewhat of a tea novice as well! :) You could try reducing the steep time. If it’s a green or white jasmine tea you will also want to steep it in water just under boiling temperature. When I first started making green tea I always over-steeped it in boiling water and drank many bitter cups. Depending on the blend, white and green teas are often placed in temperatures anywhere from 72°C -93°C. Tea strength is impacted by steep time, temperature, and water/leaves ratio.

ashmanra

I hated jasmine until I tried Teavivre’s. did you know you can sign up for free samples on their website? They are generous, too, and I have yet to meet a Teavivre tea that was less than excellent.

greg

@crowkette thanks for your tips. I’ll give jasmine another chance next time :)

@greg, no problem! :)
@ashmanra, I’ve been eyeing Teavivre’s website, and thier fancy tins, for a while. I’ve only heard good things and the have an extremely appealing shipping deal to boot. It will be a couple months before I can buy new tea though. I overspent myself badly.

ashmanra

@Crowkettle: I bet if you signed up for the free samples they would try to accommodate you if you request certain ones you are interested in! Then you could try now, buy later!

Comments

Lady 0f Spaydes

greg

A great smell for my flat. But it is really bitter.
erhaps you’ve got some suggestions for me.

greg

@crowkette thanks for your tips. I’ll give jasmine another chance next time :)

@greg, no problem! :)

ashmanra

A good Silver Needle is my desert island tea.

Ratings: