drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

Why, hello honey soaked dark chocolate brownie. The finish upon first steep is drenched in caramel and honey, like someone infused a caramilk bar in my cup; I can’t believe this isn’t flavoured. The smell of the wet leaves, in particular, is very chocolaty, and possibly leathery. I’m detecting no bitterness or astringency, just sweet, mellow goodness. This is a rich, moist cup with a cinnamon note that comes out upon later steeps. The sweetness also becomes more pronounced.

I hit around fifteen steeps in my flowering pot (still on the window shopping stage for a gaiwan)! I’ve never been full on board the black tea train but this Autumn Harvest Black Laoshan has changed that.

I sent an extremely small amount, only a cups worth, to Cavocorax. If I had tried this tea before double bagging some I might have forgone giving ANY of my tiny sample away.. Will be picking up more soon enough, no doubt!

205 °F / 96 °C
Mercuryhime

This is the black tea that turned me as well. It’s magic. Still only like Chinese blacks though. :D

yay so glad you enjoyed this!

CrowKettle

I can actually imagine myself drinking this regularly, which is a huge first for a black tea. I won’t be so skeptical next time :)

Kittenna

Haha, yep, this is the first black that really made me go, “woah, straight black tea can actually be good”!

there are some really great black teas out there that are so much more than just . :)

Cavocorax

That sounds great. I’ll make sure I enjoy my sample when I’ve got time to appreciate it and prepare it properly! Thanks!

Bonnie

Master Han’s that is limited on the Verdant site is considered expensive (I think 3 Starbucks vente’s cost the same if you know what I mean) but anyway it’s maybe the best black tea I’ve ever tasted. If anyone even just wanted the $4 sample it would be worth trying.

CrowKettle

I looked at Verdant’s site and it had me at “coconut”.

Comments

Mercuryhime

yay so glad you enjoyed this!

Kittenna

Cavocorax

Bonnie

CrowKettle

I looked at Verdant’s site and it had me at “coconut”.

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: There’s no way to put it nicely..

BC, Canada