This tea is stuck in some bizarre liminal, separated state; it’s not a full chai but isn’t 100% green oolong either. Both of these things are delicious separately (for me) but I can’t help but think they sell each other short when together, although this may be a more successful oolong then it is a chai.

The chai component, which is very similar to David’s Saigon Chai, may have worked better if this was a darker, roasted oolong. As it is the floral, buttery jade tie guan yin is too light to add milk, which for me is a key factor when drinking chai. The flavour is that of a cardamom and cinnamon sweetened green oolong, with a good dose of stevia, and a smidgen of peppercorn.

It’s a bit watery, and the flavours do not taste as if they always mingle, but it can also be a nice cuppa buttery spices. My main issue with this one is I really don’t like stevia. I didn’t like it in banana oolong and don’t care for it here. Freeze-dried bananas and cardamom have enough sweetness to them for me. I wish David’s Tea gave you the option to add stevia instead of assuming everyone wants a sweetener boost and dumping it right in the dry blend.

Kittenna

Ugh, did not like this one. Bleh.

CrowKettle

I’d say it has great room for improvement. Finishing 18g of this is a chore.

Comments

Kittenna

Ugh, did not like this one. Bleh.

CrowKettle

I’d say it has great room for improvement. Finishing 18g of this is a chore.

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: …