drank S'mores Genmaicha by 52teas

Eh. Kittenna, I’m with you on this one. Anybody want this?

The flavour is pretty typical genmaicha- buttery and rich. There’s a bit more sweetness than usual but I can’t say this tastes like s’mores, except maybe in the finish/lingering aftertaste transition- I get a bit of burnt marshmallows. Actually, that last part is extremely cool and I’m impressed.

Still, this tea smells “sanitized” and that rubs me the wrong way. The family was over for a birthday and they all had a good laugh at the expense of me and this tea. Mother said it tasted like wood and other unpleasant things. I guess I won’t be able to pass this one off onto any of them.

I wish I was on board with everyone else who thinks this is awesome. :/

Fjellrev

I’d be up for trying a cup if that would be ok with you. Since I’ve been quite busy, maybe we could meet up on campus on/after exams since i missed out on the meetup? Just let me know if there is anything of mine that you would like to try.

CrowKettle

I think I found someone who wants all of this but I’ll put a cup’s amount aside! We can swap other teas but I’d consider this sample as a freebie. You’re doing me a favor by taking any amount of this tea.

Fjellrev

Nah, you don’t have to bother then! I’m glad you found someone who wants it. It’ll be more work for you and I’m no THAT keen on trying it.

Ok! Thank you for offering to take some though. It means a lot.. :P

Kittenna

CrowKettle – I’m wondering if there’s something going on with an ingredient that’s only detectable by some people… like that strip of paper that tastes awful to some people and like nothing to others. Either way, I’m swapping out my package too. Better that people try my unwanted stuff instead of spending money to get their own and disliking it (although if they like it, great!) On that note, Incendiare, I commented on your Professor Grey post ;)

Ze_Teamaker

Did you add sugar to it? I noticed that the flavors come out more when I add sugar; other wise it taste like what you described above. Also the main thing I have against this blend is the sanitized smell in the bag.

Ugh yeah the smell is just wrong

DaisyChubb

Oh man I was sad I missed out on this one – better hop on the next swap wagon to be safe ;)

Cavocorax

:| Hmm, I don’t notice anything ‘sanitized’ like others have said, but I’m not really getting much from the tea except genmaicha. I haven’t reviewed it because some people say to let 52Teas sit a bit, but I’m not wowed by this one at all so far. So weird!

CrowKettle

Thank you for the suggestion, Ze_Teamaker! I tried a cup with sugar and it did improve it a little. Still not a keeper though.

I was also wondering about that too, Kittenna. I think it may be the smell that triggers it for me more than the taste. I have Marshmallow Treat reblend and it’s ok so far, so maybe it’s the cocoa nibs?

Nicole

All these reviews of S’mores tea… I think a Peep or two may need to be sacrificed in the microwave soon for a real s’more… :)

Ze_Teamaker

@CrowKettle: I think I have heard of aspartame being detectable by some people, but not others. I also think it is the chocolate flavoring Frank uses; not the nibs. Others Have commented on the smell of the chocolate flavoring in his teas before smelling weird. Personally I would like it more if it was only the nibs that added flavoring, even if it meant cutting it down to 1.75oz.

CrowKettle

@Ze_Teamaker, that makes more sense. I don’t think I’ve tried many 52blends that use the chocolate flavouring. Do you know if Double Chocolate Decadence used it?

All of this makes me want real s’mores too, Nicole. XD

Ze_Teamaker

Not sure, but a few people mention that it smelled like acholic chocolate liquor.

Kittenna

I’ve only had this strange/gross problem with Chocolate Malt HB, S’mores Genmaicha, and Browncoat Genmaicha. I wasn’t a big fan of Double Chocolate Decadence, but that was just because I didn’t find it chocolatey enough, not because of off flavours, and I’ve liked his chocolatey blends before. I think there’s something wrong with the nibs. I think I will email him about it… although I imagine he has been reading this as well…

Comments

Fjellrev

Ok! Thank you for offering to take some though. It means a lot.. :P

Ugh yeah the smell is just wrong

DaisyChubb

Cavocorax

Nicole

All of this makes me want real s’mores too, Nicole. XD

Kittenna

A good Silver Needle is my desert island tea.

Ratings: