drank Oriental Beauty by Butiki Teas

I tend to neglect the darker, (Edit: more heavily oxidized) oolongs, and was pleasantly surprised to see Stacy had included it as a sample! I know next to nothing about this type of tea variety, or how it’s produced, and should make a point of trying more.

The dry leaf has a sweet and roasted nut aroma, with something like cinnamon or baked sugar. The hot liquor smells more like general toastiness and isn’t as interesting. The taste fulfills the promises from the dry leaf, though, and there is a lot of fun stuff happening here. Most dominant to me is the roasted note of unsalted macadamia nuts. That’s my absolute favorite kind of nut, and every time I get a taste of it here I’m mentally jumping up and down. You wouldn’t know just by looking at me but I am.

The finish has a gentle hint of bitter nuts, mixed in with something creamy, buttery, and sweet. I’ve never tried macadamia nut butter; I wonder if it’s as delicious as it sounds. The aftertaste is like fruit jam and honey. The empty cup smells like a full jar of honey too.

Hopefully I can stretch this oolong out today, with a multitude of steeps, as this tea rocks. I will pick up more of this in the near future, and it will get a rating then when I’m less excited about the delicious novelty of macadamia nuts and dessert. I never thought I would like this one as much as I do.

JustJames

okay, now you’ve captured my attention…. i love macadamia nut butter… may have to try some of this!

Nice… Tracy suggested I try this one given my strong dislike of oblongs, so it sounds like she might be right that I’d like it.

And by Tracy I meant STACY stupid autocorrect…

CrowKettle

I think you would be ok with this one, Sil. It tasted nothing like the floral and milky green oolongs I normally drink. If I didn’t know better I would’ve assumed it was a quirky black tea.

I thought it tasted a lot like the roasted oolongs too but wiki says it isn’t. Apparently, it’s usually heavily fermented and a leafhopper tea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongfang_Meiren

CrowKettle

I clearly don’t understand oolong production at all, but this was a good tea :)

thanks crowkettle :) now i just need my tea to get here! so i can order everything haha

Comments

JustJames

And by Tracy I meant STACY stupid autocorrect…

CrowKettle

I clearly don’t understand oolong production at all, but this was a good tea :)

A good Silver Needle is my desert island tea.

Ratings: