Darjeeling No. 3! This tea is not what comes to mind when I think of Darjeeling. It’s not quite like any oolong I’ve had either. This is a very different tea.

The liquor smells like it could be a Darjeeling; it’s vaguely hayish, sour, and fruity. One sip completely evaporates that image though. It’s smoothly floral-sweet, with a prickly dash finish of something that verges on spicy. When I chugged down a mouthful, near the bottom of the mug, I picked up notes of almond butter and melona bar. It left a thick sensation and a sweet aftertaste. Best mouthful of tea today.

Maybe this could be a typical darjeeling on it’s softer second steep. It doesn’t have the astringent teeth I’ve come to expect with a darjeeling’s first steep. I feel like I cheated somehow, and got to my favourite part first.

The last couple servings are going off to Heather Martin soon, so this is sort of a sipdown. I think I may miss this one.

OMGsrsly

This is the one I’ve actually liked!

Amariel

Yay! Can’t wait to try!

Cavocorax

Oh, I love this review. “I feel like I cheated somehow, and got to my favourite part first” – that is getting me to add to my shopping list! Haha. I’m such a baby about astringency sometimes.

CrowKettle

I’m the same way. I think that’s part of the reason I haven’t taken to most of the Darjeeling teas.

Do you want a cups worth, Cavo? That’s about all I’m willing to part with. :D

Comments

OMGsrsly

This is the one I’ve actually liked!

Amariel

Yay! Can’t wait to try!

Cavocorax

CrowKettle

Do you want a cups worth, Cavo? That’s about all I’m willing to part with. :D

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: There’s no way to put it nicely..

BC, Canada