I wish I liked Darjeeling teas more. They smell like fantastic, sour-sweet fruit and hay. There’s been a couple that I’ve enjoyed consistently, and a few instances, influenced by steep variability, where a particular sample wasn’t as abrasive as it was previously.

That latter is actually what happened with this Darjeeling. I haven’t enjoyed this one all too much, and was in no rush to make the last cup. Maybe the temperature was lower (around 180F) than it usually is, but it’s so mellow today, like a second steep! It tastes floral, with a bit of sweet fruit and sour citrus. The cup led to the trademark mouth puckering too.

This is so good! I was thinking of getting a variable temperature kettle for school, but sometimes it’s nice to do the guesswork and get lucky! It just shows me that some teas (puerh, chai) have very specific “settings” that need to be met before the “best” of them (for me) is brought out.

Helena

variable temperature kettles are awesome! I find I enjoy my tea more usually when I make it at the right temp lol

OMGsrsly

I’ve used my new kettle once, and I’m a convert. I tend to shy away from picky teas because I dislike it when I don’t get them right, or even just nearly right.

Comments

Helena

OMGsrsly

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: …