I put off opening my two sample packets of this because Lapsang Souchong is a mood tea for me, and I wanted to be in the best state of mind to appreciate it. I shouldn’t have worried.

I poured boiling water over the leaves before I realized the label says 195F, so I steeped for only 30 seconds instead of 1-2 minutes. It came out gently sweet and smokey, and whispering of pines.

I’m looking forward to drinking the rest up this week. It’s funny, out of all the teas in my black tea sample pack I didn’t think this would be the one I would want to reorder. This and the organic silver needle so far! :)

Rating: 90’s, 90’s for everyone!!!!

Tea Preferences: My absolute favourites are the floral inclined oolong and white teas. I also enjoy unflavoured green teas, as well as some black teas (flavoured, unflavoured, Indian, Chinese, etc). Puerh is a hit or miss.

Fruit, cedar, anise, and vanilla are good. Black licorice, bergamot, and cheap chocolate are less good. Jasmine, cinnamon, and hibiscus are usually too strong in teas for my taste, but I otherwise like these flavours!

Ratings:

95-100: A Personal Favourite; I’m never without this tea.

90-94: Great! I’ll try to keep a small amount around.

80-89: Enjoyable; I may buy more at some point.

50-69: Something about this tea falls flat for me. Still drinkable.

30-49: This isn’t a particularly pleasant cup.

1-29: There’s no way to put it nicely..

BC, Canada