This nutty and grass-sweet is a beauty to see. The image here doesn’t quite do the trick of conveying all the brilliant shades of silver-green long leaves piled together. The lush sweet and nutty scent is also absent; my nose interprets the aroma as nori with sesame oil.

If my lovebird was still alive, he’d try and be all over this with beak and talon, due to the taste and smell of hot millet. That stuff is the catnip of the granivorous bird world. Sweet and nutty grasses are mainly what I get out of this. When I western steeped it today a corn note became apparent as well.

I personally find there to be a bit of a bitter edge to this tea as well, much like actual grass grains. It really came out during a haphazard gongfu session; it reminded me of a less endearing version of Nepal Silver Oolong (What-Cha), which has distinct floral and orange-citrus notes.

Steep Count: 3

(2017 Spring Harvest)

Tea sample provided by Teavivre. Thanks for the chance to try this!

Flavors: Corn Husk, Floral, Grain, Grass, Hay, Nuts, Seaweed, Sweet

Favourite Flavours/Ingredients:

-Vanilla, Maple, Caramel, Cream, Toffee, Nougat, Marzipan
-All Citrus: Lime, Grapefruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Yuzu
-Anise, but not licorice
-Ginger or Clove-forward chai
-Rosemary
-Grass/Marine/Vegetal/Nutty Green teas
-Florals: Rose, Lavender, Jasmine…
-Musky and/or Woody Incense-like stuff: Sandalwood, Frankincense, Eucalyptus
-Berries: Blackberry, Raspberry, Currants, Blueberry, Elderberry
-Bananas, and most fruits actually.

Less Preferred Flavours/Ingredients:

-Stevia and most sweetners
-Cinnamon-forward chai/blends
-Apple & Cranberries
-Mango pieces (love mango outside of tea though)
-Coconut pieces (as a sub/filler ingredient)
-Metallic or overly artificial teas
-Cocoa Nibs, 95% of the time.

Subjective Rating System 3.0:

90-100: My absolute favourite tea. I’ll impulsively buy in large quantities and hoard like a dragon.

85-89: A favourite tea. I’ll try to keep this one around when it’s practical.

76-84: A good tea, but not one I’m likely to order again.

70-75: Alright, but I may have a few problems with quality, consistency, ingredient chemistry and/or personal preferences.

50-69: Average to mediocre cup.

11-49: Varying levels of undrinkable tea. I don’t give a lot of these ratings out, since I tend to grab tea I know will appeal to me.

1-10: Nightmare tea from the chaos realms. This tea is the embodiment of the primordial swamp, the unholy abomination that is a chimera. It’s very gross and I’m almost positive it doesn’t exist.

BC, Canada