Sniffing inside the bag, I’m suddenly reminded of the tea description mentioning notes of rose. I don’t always think back on those descriptions, but wow does it ever smell of rose! Normally I don’t like rose flavour, but it’s not as strong when you brew it. I guess in general I dislike floral notes, especially lavender. But if there’s just a hint of it, I’m ok.

Anyway, most of the “tea” flavour reminds me of their other black tea: Zhenghe Hong Gong Fu (Fujian). Smooth, Light body, malty, with floral notes, and ending slightly bitter (in a good way). The wet tea leaves look like a bunch of thin long hairs (all bud and hardly any broken bits).

On the resteep, the rose flavour was still present and much of the original flavour was there along with the lichee flavour mentioned in the description. Third steep was even more light bodied and an interesting new flavour. I can’t quite describe it, but it came across as kinda zesty. I stopped at the fourth steep, because it was getting too light and watery. There is still some flavour but not enough for my liking. (Unfortunately, not every tea can be an awesome resteeper like Jin Die!)

I’m not crazy about this tea, but I always enjoy reaching for this in my cupboard. Although lately I have just been trying to get through older teas instead of drinking my newer stuff. :/

Feel free to add me on Steepster, I’ll probably add you back. :)

I don’t log tea every time I drink it. Tasting notes tend to be about either one style of brewing or a new experience. It is helpful for me to look back on my notes and see what a tea tasted like or which steeping parameter worked best for me. I try to mostly short steep tea unless it only tastes better with a long steep. I’d rather experience what a tea tastes like over 3 or 12 steeps than just 1 to 3 long steeps.

How I rate tea:

85-89: Wonderful, couldn’t expect more but not a favourite.

80-84: Excellent, a treasured experience but not a favourite.

70-79: Good but could be better. Above average.

50-0: Varying degrees of sadness