drank Bai Lin Gong Fu by jing tea shop

Lately I have been really digging the short steeps for black tea. I’m also inexperienced with Bai Lin black tea, so for comparison I made two batches to test short and long steeps.

For the first tea session I made 8 short steeps at 95 Celsius. I’m not sure if it was too hot or if the steeps should been a bit longer, but I was not too impressed with my results. Because of the variables, I can’t really nitpick the tea for any faults. Moving on…

I wasn’t sure if the water temperature was appropriate, so I set it down to 85 Celsius and let this steep for 3 minutes. The aroma from from the teapot made me think of fuzzy black tea and lychee. Within the first couple of sips I got a good idea about what these leaves are all about. Quiet, soft, fuzzy, black tea flavour, with a bit of spice, maltiness, sweetness, and lychee/melon notes. The last sip and the aftertaste is a charming.

Now I feel that my initial short steeps were not too weak but perhaps at the wrong temperature. To me this tea is nice, but the flavours do whisper to you. Not the sort of tea I would seek out, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I will reserve rating this tea until I’ve experimented a bit more. Usually my opinion changes slightly when I reach the end of the tea pouch (which is typically favourably).

Out of the black tea samples I bought from Jing Tea Shop, I still like Dan Cong Red Tea the most.

Short steeps: 100ml gaiwan, 2 tsps, 8 steeps