Tea sample provided by Teavivre for review

This morning I tried a long steep with a lower temperature to see if I like the flavour change any better.

I noticed it doesn’t have such a profound “tea” flavour, and it tastes more green obviously. With the second steep, I’m already preferring the higher temperature/lower steep time. The flavour is different with the temperature change, but not in a way I prefer.

I think it’s funny how differently my other Bai Mu Dan behaves with a low temp (it’s good). Perhaps I’ll have to try my CS stuff with a high temperature sometime. Anyway, I like Teavivre’s batch at 95 Celsius the most. I love the feeling Bai Mu Dan tea gives me, but it’s definitely more of a spring time thing for me.

CHAroma

I’m really surprised you like it when brewing at such a high temperature. I looked at the suggested 95 degrees Celsius, scoffed, and brewed it at 82 degrees Celsius instead. It just seems like using almost boiling water would scorch the leaves and leave a bitter cup.

Dorothy

I thought the same thing, mostly because sometimes tea companies suggest temperatures/steep times that are outrageous. But since the package came with 4 sample packs I decided it couldn’t hurt it once. And In my experience with the short and long steeps at 90 Celsius for this tea, it’s not bitter or offensive at all. I’ve liked the steep parameters Teavivre lists, so I think it’s worth trying it once with hotter water.

CHAroma

I might take you up on it. ;)

Comments

CHAroma

Dorothy

CHAroma

I might take you up on it. ;)

Feel free to add me on Steepster, I’ll probably add you back. :)

I don’t log tea every time I drink it. Tasting notes tend to be about either one style of brewing or a new experience. It is helpful for me to look back on my notes and see what a tea tasted like or which steeping parameter worked best for me. I try to mostly short steep tea unless it only tastes better with a long steep. I’d rather experience what a tea tastes like over 3 or 12 steeps than just 1 to 3 long steeps.

What my tea ratings mean:

85-89: Wonderful, couldn’t expect more but not a favourite.

80-84: Excellent, a treasured experience but not a favourite.

70-79: Good but could be better. Above average.

50-0: Varying degrees of sadness