Well well, here’s another matcha that took my tastebuds by surprise. I ordered the Belgium Chocolate matcha expecting, well, I didn’t know what to expect! Haha.
I’ve never had a chocolate flavoured green tea before, but for some reason I didn’t even blink or flinch at the thought of a chocolate matcha. It must be the faith in flavour that Red Leaf has instilled in me – if cotton candy works, why not chocolate, right?

There were a few more reasons I sprung for the chocolate – I had also ordered the strawberry and knew they would make an amazing pair! (Chocolate covered strawberry matcha, how sexy!), but I also have caramel and cheesecake matchas which it would also blend well with! Let’s not forget a chocolate covered banana iced latte (might add a little bit of english toffee in there as well for a Skor effect!)

What can I say? I feel like a matcha mad scientist. I’ve got a blending itch that I have to scratch!

What took me by surprise was just how chocolaty the smell and flavour was! The cocoa powder used in the blend must be of quality, because it is leagues better than the no-name powder in my cupboard. It’s silky and rich and has the quality of drinking chocolate. When I’m drinking it straight, I’m tempted to throw in a dash of cinnamon and cayenne for a Mexican hot chocolate flavour. Or maybe experiment on the savoury side with a matcha mole sauce – I would definitely be feeling like a mad scientist with that one, but hey why not! If the Food Network did something like that no one would bat an eye ;)

So far my favourite way to enjoy this matcha is as a hot latte with all the fixings! I whisk up 1.5 teaspoons of matcha with just enough water (175 F) to make a paste. I then add about a half of cup of water (same temp) and sweetener (white sugar for me) and whisk some more to dissolve the sugar. A simple syrup would also work! Now I heat up ½ cup milk and cream (half and half) in the microwave and froth it up with my milk frother. Add the half and half to your matcha, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings! This treat is oh so comforting, and could even be recreated with soy/almond milk or 1% for a light but indulgent treat!

Before this matcha I hadn’t found a flavoured tea of ANY kind that was a “replacement” for treats. Yes, I am in love with the cheesecake matcha – but it doesn’t replace my cravings for a big fatty piece of creamy thick cheesecake. Nor does a chocolate cake tea turn me away from the frozen McCains delight sitting in my freezer. This tea, however, DOES cure my craving for chocolate and hot chocolate! Sometimes I get a real hankering for a package of powdered hot “chocolate” – but I don’t even consider this a “substitute” – it’s the real thing!

Find it here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/belgium-chocolate-matcha.html

Azzrian

Oh you inspire me! :)

tigress_al

I NEED to get this!

Red Leaf Tea

You’d be happy to know that we are working on couple new kinds of chocolate flavors :-)

DaisyChubb

Ohhhh I am pumped! Yeah this matcha is amazing, I wish I didn’t work tomorrow so I could indulge tonight ;)

It IS sinful!

Comments

Azzrian

Oh you inspire me! :)

tigress_al

I NEED to get this!

Red Leaf Tea

DaisyChubb

It IS sinful!

You can call me Daisy.

My rating system is as follows:

50-75: It was alright! It was… alright! Not horrible, but I might not re-steep.

25-50: Ew. But I will finish the cup.

1-25: Please no, I want to dump it.

The Steepster community is my safe place. Thank you to all my tea friends!

<3 Daisy