drank Black Pearl by Mandala Tea

Another from the travelling tea box! When I see a black pearl, I have to go for it!

This is the strangest Black Pearl I’ve had (I’ve tried 3-4 from different companies). I found this one quite gritty, lots of sediment at the bottom of my cup, and it definitely tasted more like a mild puer than a black tea. Interesting!

No notes really popped out at me except for earthy or sort of like fresh dirt. I was pining for a sweetness or smokiness that never really came – didn’t get any floral. (I used 3 pearls for one small mug). The resteep didn’t impress me too much so I didn’t go for a third.

That said I was very happy to try! I think I’ll stick with the Jasmine Black Pearl from DT and Black Dragon from Teavivre for my pearly needs, but thanks travelling box!

Garret

HI!! I have to figure out what’s going on here. I’m Garret and I founded mandala tea. I sourced these black pearls each year in China. I can’t for the life of me understand why the last two reviews (both of whom received it as a trade from someone else) are having such poor experiences with it. This is the same batch that is usually reviewed in the 90’s and that we sell a ton of (literally). I can only surmise that something has occurred in the storage of or the shipping of the leaves. One reviewer said they were overpowering in jasmine and yet they are not imbued with jasmine whatsoever. This is, indeed, a curiosity and it’s making me a little crazy. Ok… I was crazy to begin with :) Just hard to see what I know is such a great tea all of the sudden get two bad ratings. Well, I may never know what happened here. But I appreciate you writing about it. If you read the previous reviews, you’ll see some pretty great things said about them. This is a headscratcher, for sure. I hope you are having tea-riffic day, my friend!! Joy to you!!

Comments

Garret

You can call me Daisy.

My rating system is as follows:

50-75: It was alright! It was… alright! Not horrible, but I might not re-steep.

25-50: Ew. But I will finish the cup.

1-25: Please no, I want to dump it.

The Steepster community is my safe place. Thank you to all my tea friends!

<3 Daisy