I usually choose a tea in the morning and take it to work. Today I decided that rather than choosing ONE tea, I would take a few of the samples that I have lying around. I tossed a few in my bag and off to work I go.
Ont of them was this little red individual package that Sil had so generously sent me.
I’m at work, I’m not really paying attention. I rip open the package, dump the contents into my steeping basket, pour hot water over it, put the lid on, and go back to my desk. A few minutes later, I take the lid off and am immediately hit in the face with the unmistakable scent of fishy pu’erh. Oppps, This package was all in Chinese, and I just thought that Sil had sent me all black samples. Nope, this was a pu’erh – and I mistreated it BADLY. No rinse, over leafed, over steeped.
Sorry sil this was probably a pretty decent pu’erh – I drank about half the cup then added more hot water – but the damage had been done. Even the resteep didn’t really didn’t come out that good. It was ok, but not what it would have been if I had treated it right.
Moral of the story – if you don’t know what a tea is, drink it at home when you have time to watch, smell, investigate what you are drinking. :(((

hahahaha not to worry lol this was not the world’s best puerh..just an experience to try something new. Mandala’s are better heh

Comments

C.S. Lewis – “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

I needed to update my profile. I joined Steepster 03Mar13. I am just amazed at how much my tastes have changed since then.
When I discovered loose leaf tea about a year and half ago, I didn’t know anything other than my local Davids and Teavana/Teaopia. Stumbling onto Steepster CHANGED EVERYTHING.
Hello, my name is Dex I’m a tea addict.
I’ve been through the “I need to try every single tea out there” phase. I really hope the worst of that has passed. I’ve learned enough to know that I only need to try HALF of all the teas out there. LOL
When I started this journey, I was all about the flavored rooibos and fruity tisanes. Don’t get me wrong there is still room for dessert (chocolate/caramel/nutty) Rooibos teas in my cupboard and I still do enjoy them, BUT I am quickly learning to appreciate the some of the straight teas of the world.
Big bold (but not icky)pu’erh is suddenly my favorite, followed by woody/roasted oolongs. I’m just starting to explore straight black teas, and have found some that I really like.
Generally speaking I’m not into greens at all, only like the occasional green oolong, and white teas are just too mild for my tastes (unless they are fruit flavored). I still enjoy really good fruit tisanes, but am now cold steeping them.
I don’t like floral/herbal blends, and mint anything is not on my preferred list.
I am still exploring new teas, adapting to my changing tastes, understanding more every day how little I really know about tea. Ultimately I would love to find approximately 50 teas that I just “can’t live without” and always have them in my cupboard. That might not be practical, but that what I’m searching for. It’s going to be a fun journey.

All in all, I love this site. I’ve met some wonderful people, and have gotten to try some amazing teas because of them. It really restores your faith in humanity when you get a note saying “oh by the way I sent you some tea”. Wonderful, generous, people here.

Manitoba Canada