Dry, in the packet, this sample smelled really appealing…..very “tea”-ish and already complex. I steeped this western style, 3 minutes at 190 degrees (using a meat thermometer…i hope that counts!). There is a delicate earthy balance as a bottom note to this tea. It sounds like an oxymoron to have a delicate earth note (they are very overpowering in many keemuns) but the earth note in this tea is like the tail to a kite….it gives support and a touch of weight so that the rest of the notes in this tea can…well…take flight in your mouth, I guess! There is a sweet potato and grain note that marries well with a malty flavor that is hitting the underside of my tongue. I love when teas activate different parts of my palate!! I’m not detecting much astringency in this cup, which works for me on most occasions, as I don’t usually like much of it anyways.

This is a wonderful Keemun that I will be buying again…..and looking forward to it!

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Yams

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 1 OZ / 29 ML
looseTman

A meat thermometer! Here’s a tea-specific one: http://steepster.com/teaware/davidstea/36677-thermometer-and-timer

Or, alternatively:

A like your kite analogy and TeaVivre Keemuns – YUM!

donkeytiara

looseTman I can’t seem to locate the thermometer and timer ad David’s teas….. can you?

Drats. Sold out.

Comments

looseTman

Or, alternatively:

A like your kite analogy and TeaVivre Keemuns – YUM!

Drats. Sold out.

Spot or pot, I love a cup!

I learned to drink tea while living in Dublin in the early 80’s, so as you can imagine, I am a hearty brew lover, and take tea with milk and honey. I am trying to expand my horizons with tea….that is why I’m now on Steepster! Just joined in January 2014…

Currently loving strong black teas that hold up to milk and honey well. Since I’ve joined, I have a new found curiosity for keemuns and yunnans. Trying green teas….trying. Herbal? No thanks…they still taste like vase water to me. Maybe that will change one day!

I do like some naturally flavoured teas…almond, vanilla, cardamom, ginger. But mostly I’m an unflavoured tea drinker.

My husband is British and a man whose religion is Tetley, so we’ll see where I drag him on this journey!

San diego