drank Four Seasons by Samovar

I’m excited to finally try this tea which has reached a seemingly mythic reputation here on Steepster. Thanks to Cait, I’ve brewed my first pot. I expected to smell spinach or asparagus or new-mown grass. Instead, the first aromas of this lovely delicate amber brew convey a buttered flower-garden. The taste is smooth, butterly, fragrant, and my tea-drinking has taught me to be totally NOT non-plussed about putting flowers in my butter or buttering my garden. Delicious! I need more.

SECOND STEEP: A nice fragrance which is more subtle. It seems as if there’s only 1 stick of butter in this and not an entire pound. I do like creamy and buttery teas and this is excellent. The second steep is a bit more vegetal; I can see that we’ve moved down the flowery garden path to the vegetable garden. I steeped this for two minutes which seems about right for a 2nd steep. I’m still liking this tea and will have to order it someday. But today I got: 4 boxes from Andrews and Dunham, a big box from Upton, some generous samples from Norbu, and an order from Pangea tea which also calls itself the Lavender Tea Company. Not to mention a genuine, old-fashioned letter from a friend.

__Morgana__

I’m looking forward to trying this as well, my sample arrived yesterday!

teabird

Have a been drinking too much tea if a buttered flower garden sounds delicious?

JacquelineM

A letter!! :) I love letters and have two pen pals. I noticed in your profile that you are a fountain pen aficionado too! I only have one but I love it :) I hope to get more. I also love the J Herbin inks – I have the one that is purple and smells like violets :)

Stephanie

“…putting flowers in my butter or buttering my garden”—I love that! So Lewis Carroll. Bread and Butterflies. :)

Comments

__Morgana__

I’m looking forward to trying this as well, my sample arrived yesterday!

teabird

Have a been drinking too much tea if a buttered flower garden sounds delicious?

JacquelineM

Stephanie

I really love big, bold, brash teas. Smokiness enthralls me. I don’t seem to do subtle.
I don’t do rooibos.

My rating system:
0-30:
Never again in a hundred million years

31-55: This tea probably has some redeeming qualities but I won’t would not seek it out again.

56-70:
Shows some promise but also has a fundamental flaw. I probably owe these a second taste but am unmotivated.

71-80:
Good with at least one strong quality; I probably would not buy it but would drink it cheerfully.

81-90: Worthy contenders; they might be ranked 100 on somebody’s else’s scale. I like them a lot but have not fallen in love. Will probably buy and use.

91-95: These are the true loves, the chosen ones, the ones I dream about and crave. Unless they are in a limited edition—la! how you tease me!—I will always keep in my cupboard.

96-100: I cannot be separated from these teas and would develop a panic attack if I were to run out.

“She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.”

Elderly dowager. Quintessential cat lady.

Tea which must be in stock always:

Black Dragon LS by Upton Teas: My choice every morning.

Florence & Lapsang Souchong by Harney & Sons

a good Gen Maicha

Samovar: Russian Blend, Maiden’s Ecstasy, Ryokucha

Mariage Frères: Confucious, Vivaldi, Eros, Aida, Marco Polo

American Tea Room: Brioche

Leland Teas: Bogart

Life in Teacup:
An Xi Tie Guan Yin Grade II modern green style & also Charcoal Style

In the midst of the middle of the heart of nowhere in particular.