drank Maiden's Ecstasy by Samovar

Thank you so much to LORI for sending me a sample of this tea. I can understand why many drinkers rave about it and I can also understand the audacity of the name “ecstasy”. The flavors are very complex and in some ways contradictory:

The aroma and taste remind me of an exotic market where one is besieged by a plethora of odor. The fish stand abuts the chocolate-covered fruits and the artisanal breads are next to a display of dripping honey. The garden soil is adjacent to the herbs and spices. It’s a mélange, and a very good one at that. I would say that the “earthy” aroma and taste predominate over the others. I could close my eyes and be carried away to the exotic bazaar of world flavours and foods.

I’m looking forward to multiple steepings.

S

Fish?? Oh dear…

Doulton

Just a little bit in a way that I like—-a sort of salty, organic way. Perhaps I should have said the sea instead of “fish”. A lot of Japanese teas seem to be raised alongside nori or kelp. Please don’t be put off!

sophistre

A quick hot first steep, disposed, will eliminate the fishy quality. I say this with authority only insofar as this particular pu-erh goes, because it was the one recommended to me as a way to acclimate to the type of tea. For me the mental hurdle was to stop thinking ‘mushrooms cooked in honey’ and start thinking ‘this is a very dark yunnan tea’.

I have no explanation for that, since I like both mushrooms and honey…but the earthiness was off-putting.

I drink this fairly often, now…and I like the market metaphor a lot.

Doulton

I think, after my second steep, that this is a tea worth investing in a full canister. It passes a couple of tests for me: I don’t know of any other tea quite like it and I really like this and want to have it around. I’m quite impressed with the Samovar teas that I’ve had so far.

Lori

I have to admit Doulton – I haven’t tried this one yet but plan to do so tomorrow… I am glad that you liked it!

In regards to the steeping, the Samovar tin recommended Sophistre’s method- about discarding the first steep of water….I may/may not have scribbled that on the label…

Stephanie

@Shanti: For me, the description of “fish” in a tasting, usually means “brine-y” or like ocean salt water. At least to me, pu-erh is like that. :)

Comments

S

Fish?? Oh dear…

sophistre

I drink this fairly often, now…and I like the market metaphor a lot.

Lori

Stephanie

I really love big, bold, brash teas. Smokiness enthralls me. I don’t seem to do subtle.
I don’t do rooibos.

My rating system:
0-30:
Never again in a hundred million years

31-55: This tea probably has some redeeming qualities but I won’t would not seek it out again.

56-70:
Shows some promise but also has a fundamental flaw. I probably owe these a second taste but am unmotivated.

71-80:
Good with at least one strong quality; I probably would not buy it but would drink it cheerfully.

81-90: Worthy contenders; they might be ranked 100 on somebody’s else’s scale. I like them a lot but have not fallen in love. Will probably buy and use.

91-95: These are the true loves, the chosen ones, the ones I dream about and crave. Unless they are in a limited edition—la! how you tease me!—I will always keep in my cupboard.

96-100: I cannot be separated from these teas and would develop a panic attack if I were to run out.

“She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.”

Elderly dowager. Quintessential cat lady.

Tea which must be in stock always:

Black Dragon LS by Upton Teas: My choice every morning.

Florence & Lapsang Souchong by Harney & Sons

a good Gen Maicha

Samovar: Russian Blend, Maiden’s Ecstasy, Ryokucha

Mariage Frères: Confucious, Vivaldi, Eros, Aida, Marco Polo

American Tea Room: Brioche

Leland Teas: Bogart

Life in Teacup:
An Xi Tie Guan Yin Grade II modern green style & also Charcoal Style

In the midst of the middle of the heart of nowhere in particular.