drank Lemonberry by TeaSource

Thank you to MeghannM for the opportunity to taste this tea. It’s a discreet little black tea with definite lemony and berry overtones. What berry? I don’t know—the berry is too elusive to pin down. I think that it’s a nice blend but when I say “nice” perhaps I am damning the tea with faint praise. Nothing really steps up and shouts out “Look at me! Smell me! Taste me!”

If I had had this tea 6 months ago I would have been mightily impressed but I’ve tasted so many black blends since then that I’ve become a bit fussy and I want all teas to stand up, salute, tap dance, and do cart-wheels in an utterly original way. This particular blend seems like it could be a great basic afternoon blend for somebody who wants something different than Earl Grey or other well-established afternoon teas.

Rabs

Lol! I love your criteria for a good black tea :D

Meghann M

This tea definitely was not deserving of an encore, standing ovation or any high praise. It held up well as a lightly flavored black tea, but it seemed to blend into the flavored black tea crowd rather than be a misfit. I prefer the misfit.

Comments

Rabs

Lol! I love your criteria for a good black tea :D

Meghann M

I really love big, bold, brash teas. Smokiness enthralls me. I don’t seem to do subtle.
I don’t do rooibos.

My rating system:
0-30:
Never again in a hundred million years

31-55: This tea probably has some redeeming qualities but I won’t would not seek it out again.

56-70:
Shows some promise but also has a fundamental flaw. I probably owe these a second taste but am unmotivated.

71-80:
Good with at least one strong quality; I probably would not buy it but would drink it cheerfully.

81-90: Worthy contenders; they might be ranked 100 on somebody’s else’s scale. I like them a lot but have not fallen in love. Will probably buy and use.

91-95: These are the true loves, the chosen ones, the ones I dream about and crave. Unless they are in a limited edition—la! how you tease me!—I will always keep in my cupboard.

96-100: I cannot be separated from these teas and would develop a panic attack if I were to run out.

“She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.”

Elderly dowager. Quintessential cat lady.

Tea which must be in stock always:

Black Dragon LS by Upton Teas: My choice every morning.

Florence & Lapsang Souchong by Harney & Sons

a good Gen Maicha

Samovar: Russian Blend, Maiden’s Ecstasy, Ryokucha

Mariage Frères: Confucious, Vivaldi, Eros, Aida, Marco Polo

American Tea Room: Brioche

Leland Teas: Bogart

Life in Teacup:
An Xi Tie Guan Yin Grade II modern green style & also Charcoal Style

In the midst of the middle of the heart of nowhere in particular.