drank Rose Keemun by TeaSpring

Today was the War of the Roses chez moi. I had consumed, with great pleasure, Rose Congou by Upton Tea Imports and then thought I would try another rose tea at hand, TeaSpring’s Rose Keemun.

The verdict is in: we have two winners. Upton’s offering decidedly has the greater rose aroma and taste but TeaSpring’s Keemun tastes more like a deep, rich, cup of tea. Rose Keemun has a lot of rose petals in it and looks very attractive yet the dry leaves don’t have much of a rose aroma. They smell a bit smoky, but not like a Souchong. Steeped, the tea liquer is a deeply satisfying and delightful Keemun—somewhat smoky and very layered and nuanced as a tea. The tea hints of many flavors—rose is among them. If I had a blind tasting I don’t know that I would identify the “rose” but I would get right away that it’s a high quality Keemun of distinctive and delicious flavor. I know that the congou is a Keemun tea, but TeaSpring has more of a distinctively “keemuny” smoky taste than does the Upton congou.

This Rose Keemun also has a very attractive “price-point” as Donald Trump would say (why doesn’t he just say “price?”) and I will order more. TeaSpring is a speedy and reliable shipper of teas direct from China.

Lori

I love the Rose Congou from Upton…

Rabs

I had thought that perhaps this was in the Shakespeare box and finally got a chance to check before I got crazy-excited. I am now crazy-excited!

ashmanra

Now I want to try both of them! I have been looking at the Upton website for a long time. Maybe it is time to order….

Comments

Lori

I love the Rose Congou from Upton…

Rabs

ashmanra

I really love big, bold, brash teas. Smokiness enthralls me. I don’t seem to do subtle.
I don’t do rooibos.

My rating system:
0-30:
Never again in a hundred million years

31-55: This tea probably has some redeeming qualities but I won’t would not seek it out again.

56-70:
Shows some promise but also has a fundamental flaw. I probably owe these a second taste but am unmotivated.

71-80:
Good with at least one strong quality; I probably would not buy it but would drink it cheerfully.

81-90: Worthy contenders; they might be ranked 100 on somebody’s else’s scale. I like them a lot but have not fallen in love. Will probably buy and use.

91-95: These are the true loves, the chosen ones, the ones I dream about and crave. Unless they are in a limited edition—la! how you tease me!—I will always keep in my cupboard.

96-100: I cannot be separated from these teas and would develop a panic attack if I were to run out.

“She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.”

Elderly dowager. Quintessential cat lady.

Tea which must be in stock always:

Black Dragon LS by Upton Teas: My choice every morning.

Florence & Lapsang Souchong by Harney & Sons

a good Gen Maicha

Samovar: Russian Blend, Maiden’s Ecstasy, Ryokucha

Mariage Frères: Confucious, Vivaldi, Eros, Aida, Marco Polo

American Tea Room: Brioche

Leland Teas: Bogart

Life in Teacup:
An Xi Tie Guan Yin Grade II modern green style & also Charcoal Style

In the midst of the middle of the heart of nowhere in particular.