Number 17 in Another Travelling Tea box.

I’m working my way slowly through the tea box. It’s been a lot of fun so far, but I’m only about a third of the way through. I’ve begun to prioritize, since I don’t want to keep it for more than a week.

This was a very interesting tea. I’m just starting out on matchas, but this is really more of a genmaicha, which is another tea I’d never had before.

The smell and taste are dominated by the toasted rice: almost like a breakfast cereal. The matcha adds mostly color, since it isn’t powerful enough to compete with the toasted rice flavors. This isn’t to say there were no green tea flavors: I knew it was there, but it was definitely in a secondary role. The finish was slightly bitter.

This was a fun tea to try, which is of course the entire point of the travelling tea box, but it isn’t something I would try again. It’s just not what I think of when I want a cup of tea.

Retired engineer/physicist.
My ratings will usually be based on multiple tastings. Green and oolong teas are generally 3 grams of tea in 6 oz water for 1 minute. Black teas are 1.5 grams of tea in 6 oz water for 3-4 minutes.

My numerical ratings are all based on how much enjoyment I took from the tea. Since I prefer blacks and oolongs, they will receive higher scores. I also give a couple of extra points to decafs, just because I can drink them in the evening without staying up half the night. I don’t dislike flavored teas, but find that they lack the complexity of finer teas.

90-100 = superior, worth a high price
80-89 = Excellent. Will buy again
70-79 = Good tea, but probably won’t buy
60-69 = Nothing really wrong, but…
Below 60 = Wouldn’t drink again