drank Tiramisu Oolong by 52teas

I told myself no more purchases from 52Teas. At least not until I go through some of the 10 or so bags of it in my cupboard that I’m already working on, which will take a while now that it’s winter and I’m not likely to cold brew the blacks the way I prefer them. THEN I saw this tea and I had to have it. I’m a sucker for tiramisu and it’s an oolong which means I’d likely brew it hot and drink it this winter. Must be the 50% Italian in me as well as one of my three gateway loose leaf teas being a discontinued and longed for rooibos tiramisu.

Anyways, I opened the bag and was greeted with a super strong alcohol scent along with chocolate and creamy coffee. The smell was amazing and delicious. Once brewed, the marshmallow root comes out as creaminess, the chocolate and coffee merge and the alcohol scent fades into the background with the oolong as an aftertaste. It works really well together and I’m guessing I have already gone through half the bag. I have gotten two good steeps out of each serving with a third steep being a little weaker, but letting more of the oolong flavor take center stage.

Now I have to figure out how much I love it. One more bag worth? Two more bags worth? Do I not overdo it and hope for a reblend in the future? I’m spending way too much brain power agonizing over it. It’s a good life.

Tuscanteal

I’ve seen a lot of talk about re-steeping. It’s something I don’t normally do. When do you tend to re-steep teas?

Dustin

I usually resteep the same day as the original steep. Sometimes it is just after I finish my first cup, sometimes several hours after. I have heard of some people putting the wet leaves in the fridge to save them for the next day. It also depends on the tea. Some flavored teas spend the most of their flavor in the first steeping, especially if they have melty things like sprinkles or chocolate chips and some straight teas are steeped numerous times letting different aspects of the flavors come out in each steep. Veredent’s lashoan black (butchering the spelling I’m sure), is one that people will steep repeatedly and really geek out on about the flavor of each steep. Some of the tasting notes are really in depth and neat to read.

Comments

Tuscanteal

Dustin

My name is Dustin and I like tea.

I’m an added flavor kind of tea fan. I want my tea to remind me of cookies and cakes with coconut and almond slices with a hint of chocolate drizzled on top. I want dancing ponies and flying monkeys shooting off fireworks! I like a little sugar in my tea. I love caffeinated tea, but since I limit myself to one cup a day, I have been exploring more rooibos and honeybush teas. Rooibos now = meh and I have upped my caffeine tolerance. BRING ME CAFFEINE!!!!

Austin, TX