Figured I’d put this tea through it’s paces today – gongfu style, of course.
Disappointed as I was with the store, the two Taiwanese wulongs I bought from teasme are actually pretty good.
This is the cheaper of the two, at $14.50/50g.

Rinsing. It’s not as cold this morning (and I slept in a little bit later…) so it’s not as steamy. Still smells good though!

First steep: ~30 sec, ~90˚C. Very pale yellow-green liquor. Stronger than it looks.
Aroma: Honey, lilies, vanilla.
Taste: Sweet, subtle, fruity. Milky smooth.

Second steep: ~30 sec, ~90˚C. More colour to it now.
Aroma: As above, though the vanilla note is more pronounced. I sniffed a bunch of things in my cupboard to give myself some ideas to compare it to (I’m really bad at naming smells/tastes), but I’ve forgotten most of them now. Oh well.
Taste: A little more astringency at the back of the tongue, but still smooth, sweet and fruity. Very tasty.

Third and fourth steeps: ~30 sec, ~90˚C.
Flavours and smells are quite pronounced now. Lingers in the mouth for a long time.
I quite like this tea.

Well, four steeps is enough for one morning. My teapot is rather large, so I’ve had almost a litre of this tea now. I’ll give it a break for an hour or two and come back to it later.
All in all, a surprisingly good tea.

I procrastinate. A lot.
And I drink a lot of tea. Often while procrastinating.

I like real tea. I don’t drink flavoured crap.
When I say “flavoured crap”, I mean things like “Raspberry cream cheese rooibos with a hint of chicken” or things with names like “summer breeze” or “delinquent angel”, etc.

I drink mostly Chinese and Taiwanese teas, though I don’t mind a bit of Sencha or Matcha now and again.

In order of preference:
1) “Traditional” heavy-roasted wulong, including tieguanyin
2) Sheng pu’er
3) “Modern” lightly-roasted/oxidised wulong
4) Zealong Black (it deserves a category of its own)
5) Shu pu’er
6) Red tea
7) Green tea

Have I missed any? Probably. The list isn’t exactly definitive, and what I drink depends a lot upon my mood and what I’m doing at the time.

I love the gongfu ceremony. It makes me relax.
I also love to brew grandpa-style: Add a few leaves to cup. Add water. Drink. Refill, repeat until satisfied/nothing left in the leaves.

Anyway, I’m going to stop now.

Auckland, New Zealand